Radiators

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Radiators

Post by asavage »

Someone asked about radiator interchange (I think it was Salvy). At the JY today I had an '82 dsl Wagon and '83 gasser Sedan close to each other. The '82 dsl had a two-row radiator externally in very good shape except the pass. tank bracket was unsoldered from the top tank (very common on the dsls.; I had mine resoldered for $25). But someone had gotten sloppy with the last water pump replacement and folded over two fins - no leak yet that I can see -- and lots of mineral build-up in the tubes. I decided to let it stay in the JY. That yard gets $25 for radiators -- all radiators -- but I blew my budget and that radiator would've worked nice as a spare but not well enough to overdraw my plastic.

However, my '82 has a three-row, and the JY '83 gasser also has a three-row.

To answer (actually to guess) Salvy's question about, "will a gasser radiator work,", I'd say it probably would. The top hose location is about exactly the same, the lower hose is also, but the angle of the lower hose is off by about 15°, not enough to really be a big deal. As long as you get a gasser radiator from an AT rig, it looks like the gasser radiator could be made to work in the dsl.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Al, great follow up on the radiator question because it's definitely a good question. The radiator I've been using in my car for the past year is just beat and needs to be retired until it can possibly be rebuilt at a reasonable price from a good radiator shop. Exactly a week ago my dad ordered a brand new radiator for my car from a radiator company that has a 1-800 telephone number and probably a website. Now right now you are probably thinking right off the bat why did I go about buying this radiator when it probably won't be the same and isn't like buying the factory unit from a Nissan dealer. Well, let me tell you about the radiator. My dad originally called a few companies about three weeks ago to see if they could get a new radiator for a "1982 Nissan Maxima diesel with auto trans" and this company we ordered from located a factory unit that they'd have to ship from California (because that's where it was located). Now most here should know that the factory diesel radiator is made by a Japanese company called Nihon. I had this factory label on my old, tired radiator that said Nihon right on it. My dad got educated on the phone call too, he found out from the guy on the phone that another company bought out Nihon and that companie's name was Samsung. According to my FedEx tracking number the radiator was estimated to arrive at my address on February 25 (which is today) and it came today. Awesome! As soon as my dad and I saw it we opened up the box and the radiator was exactly identical to the old one I took out of the car a week ago. The ridges on top of the radiator were even exactly the same between the both, the new one has the two smaller transmission hose connections, and the top and bottom hose locations are exactly the same. And guys I'll make sure I take a picture or two of this radiator to prove to you its accuracy as the correct one. And finally I'll tell you guys the price we paid for it. We got it for $106 including shipping to our house (CA to PA, basically coast to coast). I know the price for one at the Nissan dealer wouldn't be cheap too, so I guess I really can't complain either. Oh yea and I picked up the Beck-Arnley thermostat I ordered from my local NAPA store today too. It's clearly the right one and I'm good to go now. Al, thanks again for the clarification on the radiators too. That is very helpful to know for me, not to mention all of us here on the forum with diesels.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That's a really good price for what is basically an OEM radiator! You did good :)

When you install, buy new hose for the AT cooler lines -- they leak even after a couple of years in normal use, and old ones are very tough to get to seal after you disturb them. And yes, it's special due to the heat. Do not use fuel line. Ask for "transmission cooler line". I think you'll find you want 5/16". You'll only need about two feet of it -- well, maybe 2.5' because the driver's side is a bit longer. It is a couple of bux per foot. If you need the Gates part number, let me know.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Re: Radiators

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Someone asked about radiator interchange (I think it was Salvy). At the JY today I had an '82 dsl Wagon and '83 gasser Sedan close to each other. The '82 dsl had a two-row radiator externally in very good shape...However, my '82 has a three-row, and the JY '83 gasser also has a three-row.
Al,
I find it odd that a gasser had a three-row and the diesel had a two-row, and then your diesel has a 3-row too. Very unusual that there would be this kind of inconsistency, especially in the same MY.

Do you know whether in 1981 you could get a diesel without A/C?

thanks
steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The Parts Catalog shows all A/C parts as "optional" with no cutoff date. The 1981 Datsun product line brochure says

"Air conditioning fully integrated with heater for dehumidified air, standard on Maxima, optional on Deluxe"

The Parts Catalog also lists non-power windows with no cutoff date. I wonder how many of them are running around the US?

Ooooh, contact-paper woodgrain!
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Ooooh, contact-paper woodgrain!
You aren't serious...are you?

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Fake woodgrain on an 810 wagon is pushing what is already a heavily-guilded car way over the edge. I've seen them around, though, they're still being driven, and the woodgrain has held up pretty well, in contrast to other woodgrain on some domestic wagons.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Fake woodgrain on an 810 wagon is pushing what is already a heavily-guilded car way over the edge. I've seen them around, though, they're still being driven, and the woodgrain has held up pretty well, in contrast to other woodgrain on some domestic wagons.
Next time you see one and have a camera take a photograph, I have to see this!

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

You mean you haven't seen one??? They were all the rage. Here's from the product brochure (my huge old Mustek Paragon 1200 A3 Pro scanner is huge, but it'll only do 17", so this is cut off):

This is a large-format sales brochure and the pages are 11" wide.

If you're brave, click on that image for the 4.7MiB version. Eventually I'll stitch the last 4" back on to the right side (a series of pictures that shows the brown interiour and specifically the dual-pads for the PWs!).
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I'm sorry, but that's soooooo bad with the woodgrain, it just screams GM Malibu wagon! I can't believe that they actually offered that. I am SO GLAD that mine wasn't forced to wear that stuff when it left the factory!

thanks for the pics
steve a

zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

True story: I was towing the '83 Wagon back from Yakima on a Saturday, I'm 35 mi. from home and one of those passes me, going about 5 MPH faster than me, so I had a good long time to watch it.
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

that 89/90 skyline? that amber marker on the bumper makes a nice touch :wink:
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

That Skyline is outrageous, could they stick anything more on it? It looks like someone bought out JC Whitney and had a field day!

steve a

zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

picture is from new car sales,and ive seen some for sale.

in australia 610/810 wagons [1970,s vintage] have the wood grain trim on the tail gate.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.