L4N71B (OD AT, 1983-84)

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

My guess is that it is rebadged as a 3-spd with OD, mabye, its beyond me why they would try renaming a perfectly good 4 spd transmission
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
dlh

Post by dlh »

I know I don't have a lot of experience with the maxima specs. But in researching the 4 spd auto swap into my zxt, the earlier versions were called 3n71b with overdrive.

Does anyone have dealership broshures for '81-84 maximas that have the optional equipment?
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

early 4 speeds are 3 speed with OD-R30 skyline was sold like that.

you find that overdrive is electric switched.it has a big switch on the console or dash with a warning light.i havnt puled one apart but im guessing that it has a full 4 speed valve body.i heard that on some od stayed on in 2nd 3rd.and engaged at low speeds.if you fit a 3 speed valve body to a 4 speed you get OD on all gears you need to cancel it electrically.

the 3 speed casing hasnt got a small piece of casting from the front to the valve body with the drilling for the overdrive dump pipe..

in same markets the addon overdrive fitted to english cars and toyota crown was a marketing plus.4 speed auto isnt.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:Early 4 speeds are 3 speed with OD-R30 skyline was sold like that. -SNIP- In same markets the addon overdrive fitted to english cars and toyota crown was a marketing plus.4 speed auto isnt.
What is the -overall- ratio on this automatic transmission when in "OD"?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:What is the -overall- ratio on this automatic transmission when in "OD"?
1983 Maxima/910 FSM, pg. AT-58:
LD28
  • 1st = 2.842
  • 2nd = 1.542
  • 3rd = 1.000
  • OD = 0.686
L24E
  • 1st = 2.458
  • 2nd = 1.458
  • 3rd = 1.000
  • OD = 0.686
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

When comparing 4n71b make sure you know there are a ton of different build options with differing amounts of friction material and shaft diameters.

Here's a thread addressing clutch pack differences between a few of them.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/15685 ... msg-156859

The accepted conclusion is that the z31 turbo 4n71b is the strongest of the 4n71b and the 280zx turbo is the strongest of the 3n71b.

I also noticed 280zx turbo 3n71b have a thicker output shaft than the N/A.

There are a more differences but I figured I'd share some of the more important ones.

For a ld28, I would use the L4n71b from the 1984 300zx turbo and use the diesel maxima torque convertor with it.............unless there are input shaft diameter differences that don't allow it.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

RB30E has an extra low/reverse clutch plate[7] to the 300ZX.
72 mm dia band apply servo piston.fast apply.

RB30ET has 8 plates
no lock up and larger dia shafts.B/W T5 output splines i think.
80mm dia band apply servo piston.

old president Y44 3 speed jatco is the best trans as a source of parts.
it has a large capacity oil pan.

overdrive was a weak point on VL commodore.
i think there is an up rated unit.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

I found the LD28 touque convertor wasnt slipery enough.

i used a CA20E trans LD28 valvebody with RB30 clutches and servo
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Anybody play with the length of the small shaft on the modulator for changing shift points?

Apparently, there are differing lengths of this shaft.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

played with this a lot to get a LD28 trans to suit a LD20T and CD20.
also change governors.lots of different types of these items to suit different shift patterns.

i doubt you can for a diesel as it operates at higher vac than a petrol engine but you can buy adjustable modulators.

also you can move the valve body.its important to always push it to one side when tightening.

remove and add gaskets to the modulator.

adjust the linkage on the IP its easier.it has the same effect.other than full throttle.also change the length of the arm.get a vac gauge and take notice of movement in relation to throttle position when driving.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

L3N71bOD

This is the trans from member MidnightZ's parted-out '83 Wagon. The fluid was very burned. This

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

L4N71b OD Cancel Switch operation and indicating lamp

Post by asavage »

I finally have all the stuff in front of me to answer this Q to my satisfaction:

How does the OD Cancel Switch and OD Lamp work, electrically?

I am not surprised I was confused.

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image Image
O.D. indicator lamp glows when ignition switch is ON (and engine
not running) as well as when it is running in O.D. position.
The Owners Manual switch position for OFF is the FSM's position for ON.

Here is my current understanding of this system:

OD Indicator Lamp
The OD Band's Servo has a spring assist to the release direction, but the servo is pressurized for both Apply & Release (pressure on both sides) in normal operation. OD is engaged by dumping pressure from the Release side of the servo.

The OD Indicator Switch (on the transmission) is normally closed (NC) and monitors the pressure on the Release side of the OD Band Servo: pressure = OD is OFF.

At engine OFF key ON, no trans pressure = OD lamp in the console switch is lit (my colors: follow the Pink wire to the console switch, and Dark Green to the OD Indicating Switch on the trans, then to Ground).

Engine starts, trans pressure comes up on both sides of the OD Band Servo, OD Indicating switch opens and console lamp goes out.

Driving: road speed comes up enough for the tran's hydraulic circuit to engage OD by dumping pressure from the Release side of the OD Band Servo. OD Indicator Switch closes, console lamp lights.

OD Cancel by Console Switch
Key ON, power flows to the OD Cancel Solenoid on the trans (my color: Red), and from the solenoid to the console switch (my color: Purple). When the console OD Cancel Switch is moved forward (to what the Owners Manual calls "OFF"), the console switch contacts are closed. Powre can continue to flow from the OD Cancel Solenoid, through the switch to Ground (my color: Green). The solenoid, when activated, prevents OD Band Servo Release pressure from being dumped, and OD is inhibited.

Whew.

So if one is doing a transplant of the L4N71b trans into a car that didn't have OD, if you connect none of those three "extra" wires (OD Cancel Solenoid, OD Indicator Switch), OD will work normally (hydraulically). You just won't be able to turn off OD from the console.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Cruise Control & OD Cancel interaction

Post by asavage »

1983 Maxima Owners Manual (page 42):
1983 Maxima Owners Manual, Page 42 wrote:The overdrive control switch is located on the center console. To turn on the overdrive control switch, push the switch in. The light will go on when the transmission is upshifted to overdrive.
IN?? Is anyone else confused by this? The picture above this text shows "OFF" and "Overdrive".
1983 Maxima Owners Manual, Page 42 wrote:When the vehicle is accelerated by operating the "ACCEL" set switch of the cruise control, the transmission is shifted down to 3rd gear even when the overdrive control switch is turned on.
Can someone with a 1983 AT confirm this: if you use the CC Accel button while the trans is in OD, the AT downshifts to 3rd?
Regards,
Al S.

kassim503

Re: Cruise Control & OD Cancel interaction

Post by kassim503 »

asavage wrote: Can someone with a 1983 AT confirm this: if you use the CC Accel button while the trans is in OD, the AT downshifts to 3rd?
Yep, it takes it out of OD, it surprised me until I read up on it in the FSM
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Cruise Control & OD Cancel interaction

Post by asavage »

That means that there's some interaction between the OD Cancel Solenoid and the CC (ASCD) unit that isn't documented in either the OD wiring diagram, nor the ASCD schematic.
kassim503 wrote:Yep, it takes it out of OD, it surprised me until I read up on it in the FSM
You read it in the FSM, that it drops from OD during CC Accel? Can you point me to where?
Regards,
Al S.