Will soon look at '82 Maxima diesel

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fud2468

Will soon look at '82 Maxima diesel

Post by fud2468 »

Hi, Want to say hello and am happy to find this forum after going through a bunch of others and finally getting a link from a Datsun pickup site that
brought me here.
My son has told me about an '82 Maxima diesel sedan owned by a woman a couple of hours away. He doesn't know about diesels or Datsuns but has given me a description and when the rain lets up a little I'll go to see it later this week.
Grey color, body straight except for one small dent. 109000 original miles. Several light lenses need replacement, which are available on ebay if I can't find in a JY. Upholstery in poor shape. Owner got it new but parked it 3 years ago when she came into some money & got another car. She claims it was running well when she parked it but has started it only occasionally since, no recent maintenance at all other than a new $100 battery. Son says it had a flat so he couldn't drive it, but to him the engine sounded good. Automatic trannie; I assume it's a lockup. She is asking $1000 but will negotiate.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Ray Mac.
PS--However--It's got a 3500# hitch on it and it was used to pull a tent trailer, don't know how big!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

First: Welcome to our site!

Second: if you get anywhere near that Sedan, take a camera and snap some pics of that 3500 lb trailer hitch. A couple of us are wondering how to tow more than what a bumper hitch (Class I) will do.

eBay taillights are often 3rd party stuff, so watch out for the quality. If they're pulls from cars, they're probably OK. I know of a Sedan in a JY in our area that has a pair of good Sedan taillight assys -- not perfect, but good. Some light crazing in the lenses.

109k miles is quite low mileage, so $1000 isn't out of the range of possibility, but bad interiour definitely moderates that. It will likely have the grey interiour. If so, there is a quite decent set of dirty grey seats and door panels in an '82 Wagon in a local JY that could be had for cheap. The carpet is best done from a carpet kit -- I paid $175 for a kit in 1997, they're still available from an eBay vendor.

If you can't drive it first, you don't know what you're getting. Can't check brakes, trans, suspension. If it's not a looker and it's not a driver, you will want to pay a lot less than the asking price. Do read the Common Problems section of the FAQ.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fud2468

'82 sedan

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks for the welcome and for having this for us. I would not buy it without driving it, and have no way to tow it Can't do pics yet, need to get a camera.
I plan (if it will run and drive) to take it as only far as my son's place several miles away to get it in shape to drive home. Through what I've read here I see there are some things to check on, including the condition of the IP belt .
Red flag--son tells me there's a little light that's apparently the water in fuel light that stays on. Owner (senior citizen) has it confused with low fuel light like on another car and has just dealt with it by keeping the tank full. So I'll expect to have to drain the fuel filter before it's fired up again.
If it's sat for the better part of 3 years it's bound to have water in fuel system.
Thanks for negotiation advice, but it's my son's friend so I was thinking of not offering less than $750 if it looks good-don't want hard feelings.
Ray Mac
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote: Second: if you get anywhere near that Sedan, take a camera and snap some pics of that 3500 lb trailer hitch. A couple of us are wondering how to tow more than what a bumper hitch (Class I) will do.
ooooooh....a trailer hitch!!! I wanna see it!

steve a

PS - welcome to the site, hope you find the car in decent shape and end up getting it!
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Re: '82 sedan

Post by asavage »

fud2468 wrote:I would not buy it without driving it, and have no way to tow it
Up here in the PNW, U-Haul rents a tow dolly for $45/day and a car trailer for $55/day, which is cheap enough for once-in-a-while use. This presupposes that you know someone with a suitable tow vehicle.
Can't do pics yet, need to get a camera.
If you have a computer, you need a digital camera. I am using a (now antique spec.) $75 Ricoh RDC-5300 from eBay. I'd owned the older 5200 (paid $750 for it new) which was stolen, and years later had an opportunity to pick up this 5300 for 1/10th the price I paid new. It's not a very good camera by today's stds but works OK for much of what I want to do. The sub-$100 market on eBay for digital cameras is broad.
Through what I've read here I see there are some things to check on, including the condition of the IP belt .
That's not a job you do just for a check of its condition -- you go into that job with the intention of replacing it, and probably the tensioner as well, and possibly the front crankshaft seal. Maybe the radiator hoses too, because you'll have them off if you pull the radiator as I recommend. The FSM says that you can change the IP belt without removing the radiator, but I say you're better off just taking it out, it's a lot easier IMO -- I've done this job three times now, and prepping for a fourth. The list of things you'll want to round up in advance:
  • IP Belt
  • Accessory belts if necessary
  • Upper & lower radiator hoses
  • Hose clamps
  • Transmission cooler hoses (bulk, for AT use)
  • Coolant
  • IP Belt tensioner
  • Front crankshaft seal if necessary
Red flag--son tells me there's a little light that's apparently the water in fuel light that stays on. Owner (senior citizen) has it confused with low fuel light like on another car and has just dealt with it by keeping the tank full. So I'll expect to have to drain the fuel filter before it's fired up again.
That one's easy: just loosen the plastic wing bolt on the bottom of the fuel filter and let it drain onto the frame etc. You can try to catch it in a pan of some sort, but IMO it's easier to just let it run all over, then spray your favourite soap solution on it and wash it down later.

Better yet, pick up a new fuel filter and replace it instead. Bleeding it is easy. Glenlloyd is going to write up a Fuel filter section for the FAQ someday with part Nos. and the procedure and everything . . . right, Steve? You volunteered, I have it in writing here somewhere . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:I am using a (now antique spec.) $75 Ricoh RDC-5300 from eBay. I'd owned the older 5200 (paid $750 for it new) which was stolen, and years later had an opportunity to pick up this 5300 for 1/10th the price I paid new. It's not a very good camera by today's stds but works OK for much of what I want to do. The sub-$100 market on eBay for digital cameras is broad.
You think that's bad, I'm still using a Sony FD91 Mavica from 1998, remember, saves to diskette, big as a dig vid cam? It still works well for what I want so I keep using it and haven't replaced it yet.
asavage wrote:Glenlloyd is going to write up a Fuel filter section for the FAQ someday with part Nos. and the procedure and everything . . . right, Steve? You volunteered, I have it in writing here somewhere . . .
I'm don't recall having signed a contract for this... :wink: ..but since it would be a good idea to replace mine, and I have one to install, I will document the procedure. If the weather stays nice through this coming weekend AND my father doesn't drop dead (possible) I will try and get this accomplished.

steve a

zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:You think that's bad, I'm still using a Sony FD91 Mavica from 1998, remember, saves to diskette, big as a dig vid cam?
Dad's got one (maybe an FD81, not 91) and it's his workhorse. I like 'em, but they were even more expensive than the Ricoh. Damn good camera.
I'm don't recall having signed a contract for this...
It was an NDA, so you may have forgotten ;)

Anyway, if you get a chance take some pics, then write a post with the info & pics and I'll link to it in the FAQ.
Regards,
Al S.

fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

I was off here a while, just got back on. Thanks again.
Re upholstery and other parts, thanks for the tip. If I get the car I have 5 PicknPulls within 50 miles of me plus an all-Nissan dismantler in Sacramento. to check out for parts.
I don't want to keep you all in suspense, but with the weather predicted to be heavy rain all week, I may not make it down there for a while (I don't check out vehicles in the dark or rain, have learned that lesson).
My son only recently told me about the car, even though the lady had mentioned it to him as far back as a year ago--he thought he had told me about it at that time, but he hadn't. So--the lady has waited this long, still has stuff to take out of it, and will wait until I get there to see it. BTW, she has done more than fire it up from time to time, she's driven it, my son says. How much and how far, I don't know. I'm not able to call her directly so far.
Al, if it will run and drive, all I can do on this first trip is get it to my son's place and see if it will make a 100 mile trip here later on ( where it is = 75 miles from me, but I have to first take it in the opposite direction to his place). I will not be able to do all those repairs at his place. Towing it up here will be expensive, and I will try to drive it.
A question: I have several gallons of Delo 400 oil, 15W-40 that I had for my Olds diesel. Will that work in a Maxima?
Thanks, Ray Mac
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

fud2468 wrote:Al, if it will run and drive, all I can do on this first trip is get it to my son's place and see if it will make a 100 mile trip here later on ( where it is = 75 miles from me, but I have to first take it in the opposite direction to his place). I will not be able to do all those repairs at his place. Towing it up here will be expensive, and I will try to drive it.
Of course. I just wanted you to be clear that you won't want to check the IP belt without setting aside the appropriate resources (time & parts).
I have several gallons of Delo 400 oil, 15W-40 that I had for my Olds diesel. Will that work in a Maxima?
That is a fine oil and will work well in the LD28. For a non-synthetic oil, it would be my first choice. It is API CI-4 spec, IIRC, and the Maxima requires CD or better. But read about the oil filter, because if you have to have the OEM type filter, you'll generally have to order it in.
Regards,
Al S.

glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:Dad's got one (maybe an FD81, not 91) and it's his workhorse. I like 'em, but they were even more expensive than the Ricoh. Damn good camera.
Here's the huge thing now...looks like a monster compared to what's around now! Mine still has all those decals on it...just never took them off. And expensive is right, IIRC it was close to $900 back then and I felt lucky at that price. They were all the rage then, and the thing I liked was that anywhere I happened to be if I saw something that someone might want all I had to do was snap a pic and find a PC somewhere to send it.

asavage wrote:It was an NDA, so you may have forgotten ;)

Anyway, if you get a chance take some pics, then write a post with the info & pics and I'll link to it in the FAQ.
Will do, the weather looks like it might be nice this coming weekend. At least tomorrow they're talking a high of 60 here...wish I were home.

steve a

zim - silence!
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

Oil filters.
found it odd.3 basic filters here.
3/4 thread.long and short.
3/4 thread small [has a smaller dia oring but fits most aplications.[VG30]

by pass filter type.

i guess the larger thread filter is a twin element type.not on japanese and australian engines until late 1980's.

by pass valve for the filter is in the block or adaptor.the by pass pressure given in the specs is for when the filter raises of its seal and falls apart.

Ryco filters are the leading brand so other brands of filters list on the filters ryco part numbers.Z115[15208-W1123] is the long filter,Z170[W1116] the short.Z145A [15208-H8903/H8911]

15208-W3401
is listed for LD20 LD28/RD28 from mid 80's.In my bluebird 910 parts book[1991] the L16 and some Z engines superceed to this number then superceed to to a variety of W11?? numbers.
W1? numbers are first used on bluebird prefixes.the last 2 numbers indicate modificatios of a supplier.with the H89 oil filters there are large number of suppliers and the oring seal is often very different.

the later engines are listed 15208-04L00,i know these are the 2 stage filters and expencive and have a bigger thread with extra seal for the bypass return to sump..my 1985/87 R31 RD28 use the old filters.AU$3-6.LD20-II uses -H8904[the little SR20 filter fits]My old 910 LD20T uses a fleetguard filter,its about level with the to of the rocker cover and about an inch bigger dia.
i found it by going through catalouges.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks, Al, the oil is API CI-4 as you said.
Thanks for all the details you provided, davehoos, you went to a lot of work to do it. I will be checking the parts suppliers here in town, a NAPA and an Autozone are nearby.
To my chagrin, rain continues until next Tuesday at least. I'm too old to go out in it to see the car while it lasts.
BTW, Al, referring back to a tow dolly, I have one, but nothing to pull it with at present. I had a 1991 Aerostar 3.0 that I gave to another one of my sons for his landscaping business. I have regretted it ever since!
Also while I think of it--I think you referred to your Maximas as smokers. I do have a grade to pull on the return trip and would hope not to blow too much smoke. Will otherwise hope to stay in the slow lane and keep my foot out of it as much as possibe. Is a lot of smoke characterisic on these?
Ray Mac
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

fud2468 wrote:BTW, Al, referring back to a tow dolly, I have one, but nothing to pull it with at present. I had a 1991 Aerostar 3.0 that I gave to another one of my sons for his landscaping business. I have regretted it ever since!
My driver for the last several years has been an '89 Aero (3.0l, 4.10 Trak-Loc rear, shorty). I do tend to tow a bit with it:

IMO, the low rear end gearing really is needed with the 3.0l, and I've had the A4LD trans rebuilt and beefed up too.
Also while I think of it--I think you referred to your Maximas as smokers. I do have a grade to pull on the return trip and would hope not to blow too much smoke. Will otherwise hope to stay in the slow lane and keep my foot out of it as much as possibe. Is a lot of smoke characterisic on these?
Mine smoke under load quite a bit. I do not know about others, but Salvy says his does, Steve thinks his doesn't much.
Last edited by asavage 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks, Al.
I see your Aero is a shorty like mine was. My hope was to move up to an extended at some point but with the extra weight more power is better . However I hear the 4.0 is not as good an engine, according to the FTE people.
I'm impressed that you towed another Aero with it!
After getting you all in an uproar with this thread I'll hope to at least get some pictures to show you. Thanks for yours.
Ray Mac.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Al, I've never liked Ford vehicles that much at all since I got into vehicles period. But, I have a newfound respect for the Ford Aerostars. I think they are good vans and I especially like the body styles. My mom bought a 1995 Ford Aerostar XLT with the 4.0 V6 brand new from the dealer. It has been her daily driver since then, moved my two younger siblings and I around many places when we were younger, and currently has a little over 238,000 miles on original engine/trans. The van has nothing but impressed me over the years. I have driven it myself quite a few miles to places I needed to go when some of my diesels needed to be worked on. I think it's cool you're into the Ford Aerostars and just wanted to mention our van and its history. Good to see you have two of them by the way. :wink:
Last edited by TheDieseliminator 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.