Will soon look at '82 Maxima diesel

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The red shorty you see being towed was also an '89, I bought it with fried electronics (hooked up battery backwards, fried *everything*) for $60 for the engine, and parted it out.

Put the trans in a blue '90 long:
and sold that one locally. Believe it or not, I dragged that long '90 up from Portland behind my grey '89 shorty. No real hills from there to here, but not enough brakes so you have to really watch traffic well.

I'm not a 4.0l fan, I've had to work on too many of them in Exploders. If you keep the cooling system maintained and don't overheat them, they seem to work OK I guess. They do have a lot more power than the 3.0l. I get 21 MPG in mine, 14-15 when towing, I don't complain, it doesn't owe me a dime. Bought it with 141k, now has 214k. Interesting tidbit about the digital dash on that year though:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showt ... p?t=380821

Yeah, that's my grey '89.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

I like the five star rims on the blue Aerostar. Sweet looking, what size were those rims? My mom's van has the electronic all wheel drive and I never thought it would be reliable like your good ol' mechanical 4WD system, but boy was I wrong. Her van has been very reliable and no complaints on anyone's part in our house.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

I tried another post about me being responsible for getting this thread off topic and into Aerostars and cameras, but it didn't go through.
Basically, it was to say:
I have no problem with wandering off topic but there may be some who would want a separate forum for other than diesel topics.
Ray Mac
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The stock rims are 14" (I run the factory alloys, the tires are "supposed" to be 205-75R14 but I run 215-70R14). Those rims came on the van and are 15". I think the brand/designation is "Modern" -- I am not an aftermarket rims kind of guy, so I'm not up on this). The fronts had 1/4" spacers on it when I bought it, and I was getting a very odd vibration -- turns out the rears were rubbing the inside of the rear inner fenderwells, so I added two more 1/4" spacers and it quieted right down. The new owner is a retiree and never loads the thing up, so they'll probably work fine, but though they look really nice, I have doubts about clearance when loaded up -- and I do load my grey '89 up sometimes.

That roof rack on mine isn't for show, I've hauled at least two pallet-loads of plywood home on that rack over the years. And even though it's a shorty, a 10' stick of PVC pipe or lumber will fit completely inside -- resting the forward end on a towel on the dashboard!

I was hauling a load (well, 1500 lbs anyway) of gravel to work on my boss' util trailer last week, the tongue lock failed and the tongue popped off. The gravel was back-loaded so the tongue went up -- and bashed a hole in the tailgate (hood & tailgate are both fibreglas). Boss is going to have it repaired, it is repairable, est. was $600.

Five years ago, I was seriously rear-ended:

Obviously, I had to replace the tailgate. The one I've got on there now was a red '86 from a JY, stripped it and had it match-painted ($350) and had the emblems removed and holes filled ($35 ea). So no "Aerostar XLT" and blue oval on the current 'gate.

Since I seem to have hijacked this thread and changed it into Aerostar discussion, here's a couple more fun photos. A borrowed trailer last April (will explain this below):

I used it after the Portland Auto Swap Meet ("Always in April") to pick up this '83 LD28 from Tigard on Sunday:

And, just in case you think that Gen1 Maximas are the only ones with the door cracking problem, here's the prepped-for-welding door attached to that blue '90 long above:

This one I welded. Both doors looked like this. So did my grey '89, but that one I fixed using a doubler plate solution similar to what I did on the '82 Wagon.
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

fud2468 wrote:I tried another post about me being responsible for getting this thread off topic and into Aerostars and cameras, but it didn't go through.
Basically, it was to say:
I have no problem with wandering off topic but there may be some who would want a separate forum for other than diesel topics.
Ray Mac
If I get two complaints about a post, I look at doing something about it. Since I run the place (ie it's my sandbox), I'm allowed a bit of leeway ;)

Anyway, it's your thread -- I have a bad habit of digressing, but if you don't mind, neither do I. If we get some folks who want us to take it somewhere else . . . then I guess I could create an "Off-Topic" forum.
Regards,
Al S.

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

just had a look around.looks like the reason OZ oil filters are are cataloged with ryco numbers is that they distrubute most brands.
australia web site is not worth looking at,and i think its out of date.

but after looking at the wix site,i was told they manufacture in new zealand,and getting confused due to the fact that same engine/cars here are very different spec.

due to special needs in new zealand they have there act together.but i notice they give different wix cross refference numbers.

http://www.ryco.co.nz/
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
fud2468

Aeros, etc.

Post by fud2468 »

No problem for me if we're off topic. Anyway, I think I've seen that red trailer on the web somewhere. Looks like it was made from the back of a Brat or Rampage.
Swap meet sounds great. Am surprised it's in Tigard, I thought that was only a place for rich people!
Ray Mac
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The trailer is a Rampage. My former employer made it, dragged it out from NJ, but has no paper for it, so it can't be relicensed now. Still has the fuel tank, he was going to put a small genset in the front overhang. All lights work, and it's very light and tows easily. Tongue a bit too short, making backing difficult. Doesn't hold much.

The huge swap meet is at the Delta Park Exposition Centre (and the overflow is on the PIR track), right at the Portland/Vancouver (Wash.) border. Parking is $10 now -- I can remember being able to park in the field for free, but that's been a few years, back when most of the meet was outdoors in the dust/mud. Now it's pretty much all paved, except some of the PIR part.

Tigard is where I went to pick up the LD28 on the afternoon of the last day of the meet. I'd arranged to meet the seller a couple of weeks in advance at his home. So I dragged the trailer around empty for four days in Portland (hitch was locked). Naturally, it collected garbage while parked at the swap meet every day.
Regards,
Al S.

fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Well, folks, I was set to make a trip tomorrow to see the '82 Maxima despite continuing poor weather here--then my son emailed me to tell me the seller wants to wait until better weather is here to stay.
So the trip is off for now. More later.
Ray Mac
fud2468

Saw the '82 sedan today

Post by fud2468 »

Sorry it took this long. I made the 80 mile trip today to see the car. Still had a flat tire, "new" battery was dead, I finally left a charger on a couple of hours, pumped up tire, then jumped it with my car and it started. It seemed to run well but with some alt. belt squeek (it was very loose) and bad PS screech when turning, though fluid was full. Hard to tell, but there was a sound like a bad accessory bearing somewhere at idle,
Since tags were not current, I sneaked around the neighborhood with my son driving close behind to conceal my crime. It was hard to find a stretch to get it up fast enough to check lockup but it definitely locked up. Son observed some smoke when I tromped on it to get up to speed, otherwise minimal smoke. Water in trunk, seats are terrible, car full of trash and it turns out the lady is firm at $1000, tho she had told my son the price was negotiable. We parted on good terms, I told her I had to think about it.--"3500 lb." hitch is bolted to bumper only. It supposedly cost $600 and was used to pull a large tent trailer.
Sorry, no pics yet, but body is straight, needs paint in a couple of spots--and lenses. BTW, not sure the owner really wants to sell!
Ray Mac
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

PS--Also, there was a small pool of what looked like oil in the bottom of the air filter housing when I took the filter out to rap the dust out of it.
I should have written everything down as I went along. Got put off by elderly owner hovering around the whole time making senseless remarks while son and I labored away .
I can at least say we left her and the car in better shape than when we found them. All tires are now up and battery is semi-charged.
Ray Mac.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The small puddle of oil in the air filter housing is not unusual, but it should be very slight. If more than a teaspoon, there is significant blowby.

Overall, this does not sound like a $400 car, much less $1000. Comsmetically challenged should be cheap(er). I hate water leaks to the interiour, you're fighting multiple battles with that one. You could do better, I think.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:You could do better, I think.
For example, Ron emailed me last night, he's leaving the country and is thinking seriously of selling his '82 Sedan w/5-spd, which is probably in similar condition to your $1000 one, but hopefully for a more realistic price. It's a lot further away from you, of course, but they tow very well, and because it's a MT you won't have to drop the driveshaft for towing.
Regards,
Al S.

fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks Al. A 5-speed would be great, but Spokane is pretty far away for it to be a practical thing for me.
You say I could do a lot better than 1000, and you're right if you mean a gasser, but these diesels are not that plentiful!
The oil I saw practically covered the bottom of the air filter box. I don't know if the bottom is concave or what, but I'd estimate it was more than a teaspoonful.
However, if blowby was that bad, wouldn't it have low compression and be hard to start ? A friend had a Chevy truck with 6.2 that had bad blowby, and he could only start it by cycling the glow plugs several times.
This one started right up after I cleaned battery connections and jumped it. It had been no lower than about 45 degrees F. overnight.
Ray M.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

At least on the LD28, and for quite a few other diesel engines, excessive blowby does not always equate with enough compression loss to affect warm weather starting -- which is what I consider 45°F to be :P .

Perhaps the oil you saw is an accumulation over a very long period -- most people would wipe out the oil when inspecting or changing the filter, and maybe whoever has been doing the maintenance on that rig didn't.

Or, perhaps there is a failure of the crankcase ventilation system (collapsed or restricted hose or orifice into the intake manifold).
Regards,
Al S.