Desert trip on the ol Datsun

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Desert trip on the ol Datsun

Post by philip »

After having early morning breakfast at Cabazon truck stop, back on the road east. This is on I-10. You can barely see the hwy 62 for Morongo Valley.

Arriving at LaQuinta (don't tell anyone this is next to Indio :wink: ). This heavy Honda (about 630 lbs) is going about 100 west into western Orange County.

After only 8 miles or so ... always stop and check tires and straps secure.

This is back on western I-10 passing Thousand Palm area.

Just a couple of miles before passing hwy 62 exit ... to Morongo Valley. The little diesel is on the floor, A/C ON, and because there was no usual strong headway ... it's holding 60 mph.

Now over the worst pull (about 50 mph), you can see a road-off on both sides of the interstate.

Round trip was 225 mi. Took 6.4 gallons.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

The 22's get waaayyyy better mileage than the 25's!! Your fuel mileage equates to 42 MPG's!!! (imperial gals). I get, at the best, about 32, perhaps 35 if I am going down hill with a tail wind the entire trip. I am also at nearly 4600 ft too so I guess that will have some factor in it, but I run empty most of the time with only the canopy on the back. I thought that opening up the exhaust might help and unhooked the muffler at the last flanged joint in the system and all it did was make lots of noise and I think that losing too much back pressure will diminish the torque as well so I hooked it back up. I took it on a short run up the hill out of town with the air cleaner off it once too and no difference, just noisier

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN