Transmission vacuum hard line wear/leak

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Transmission vacuum hard line wear/leak

Post by asavage »

I received a diesel L4N71b from member MidnightZ last summer. Whilst cleaning it up, I discovered what could be a hard-to-find problem. This is the hard line to the transmission's vacuum modulator:

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image Image Image

While this is not quiet worn enough to leak, it's not far away from it. If you get odd shifting, and the usual suspects aren't found (cracked soft line at the vacuum pump, at the vacuum valve on the IP, the soft line at the modulator on the trans), you might look under this mounting tab on the hard line.

Another trans vacuum hard line story in a similar vein is OldMax82's Starter Replacement tale.
odie

Post by odie »

same thing happened to my Mercedes trans cooler lines. the rubber bushing thing wore out and road vibrations slowly rubbed thru the line.

clean the line spotless and use so JB weld to coat and thicken up that area. It will strengthen the weakend area and prevent a blow-out.
1996 VW Passat B4V TDI diesel...main ride
1983 Maxima LD28..sold
1984 Isuzu P'up diesel 4x4..sold
1981 Rabbit diesel - sold
1984 MB 190 diesel - for sale...sold
1987 MB 300TDT diesel...sold
1983 Holiday Rambler 6.2 diesel Banks turbo...sold
1983 Dodge Ram D50 2.3 TD diesel for sale
gas stuff-Jeep, Lebaron, Porsche, Harley