SD swap into a HB?

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fnnissan

SD swap into a HB?

Post by fnnissan »

Hey everyone i just have a few questions about swaping a diesel engine into my 87 hardbody. Bacho sent me over to this forum and said you all are real helpful/knowledgable. Ive been doing alot of looking into this swap and have come down to two options, the sd22 or the sd25. I live in western washington and it seems like it would be alot easier to find a donor truck with a sd22. Would it be worth it to look harder for a truck with the sd25? Or are they simmilar enough that it doesnt really matter? Im kinda new to diesels so im tryin to learn at the same time. I would want to add a turbo also. :?

I just thought the sound of swapin in a nissan turbo diesel would be cool..but ive been reading that maybe functionaly it wouldnt be that great.
87 nissan HB, z24i, d44 SAS, d44 rear, 5.38s, posi rear, front about to be locked...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The SD25 is, in several ways, a more-refined version of the SD22. The SD25 has five main bearings (vs three), and a one-piece rear main seal (vs two-piece).

It's also 10% larger displacement than its little brother.

However . . . in our part of the world, the SD25 is pretty rare, while the SD22 is relatively plentiful.