Help Me Brainstorm and Speculate Peoplez!

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Syra

Help Me Brainstorm and Speculate Peoplez!

Post by Syra »

I've been reading alot about my rig and finding the vehicle to be interesting, specifically in the engine department. I have been looking my rig over top to bottom and have been thinking about the easiest possible way to make that diesel run again safely and effectively. I am willing to go through and fix it up by itself, but I am also considering the possibilty of transplanting the engine and tranny to another chassis. Would any of the 1980 - 1984 sedan chassis accept the engine and tranny assembly? I also read somewhere though I have yet to get the book (Out of the frying pan, into your fuel tank), that the guy who wrote that had turbocharged his diesel and put it into a 280z chassis. Are either of those feasibly possible? I realize that if not then money and good mechanics can make it possible, but you have to know the right people. (and I don't really have THAT kind of green!) I'm asking if anyone knows anything about that particular rig and anything about turbocharging the LD28. What would the potential pros and cons be of modding the engine in such a manner? :?: :mrgreen:
My rig is a 1982 Nissam-Datsun 810 diesel, sedan, 5 speed manual.

I am what I wish to be, my will is what directs me...
Syra

Post by Syra »

I also forgot to mention, I will be posting high quality pics of my rig soon, I just need to borrow my dads digital camera.
My rig is a 1982 Nissam-Datsun 810 diesel, sedan, 5 speed manual.

I am what I wish to be, my will is what directs me...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Josh Tickell spurred a rise in the popularity of biodiesel with his book, and he did actually do what you said: he put the LD28 into a 2x0Z. It's a bolt-in, a very easy conversion. A little bit of wiring, a little bit of plumbing, and a little bit of custom exhaust. Chances are you will not use the GPC but will instead learn to use a doorbell button instead.

Adding a turbo to an LD28 is a bit more work. There isn't anything available domestically to make this a bolt-on, it all has to be custom fabricated. And once you're past that hurdle, there is no easy way to tell the IP to add more fuel (only during boost!) to use the extra air the turbo is providing, so you can't maximize the output of the turbo. It will, however, reduce visible smoke at the tailpipe.

Josh's 2x0Z sold on eBay last year, I forget how much it went for, but it was reputed to be in less than stellar condition at the time.

If you go manual transmission, you can use (I think) either the gasser or diesel trans. If you go AT, use the diesel transmission as there are many differences, though the gasser AT will likely bolt up.

The easiest solution is usually to leave it all stock, unless modifying vehicles is your hobby. It almost never pays off financially in the long run to deviate significantly from stock.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I have to agree with Al, the financial outlay to convert something that wasn't diesel, into diesel can be more than one bargained for simply because you haven't taken all the issues into account. Add to that the agrivation and time spent that you could be doing something else, and the greasy messy fits of hostility from losing a precious bolt / nut / whatever, and it all adds up to what we often see, "for sale, half done conversion, take it away I'm sick of it!" SO, with that said, I strongly encourage you to stick to the chassis you have, unless it's so totally trashed that it isn't servicable, which in that case I would look for A) a twin that could provide your car with much needed parts or B) a twin in better shape than yours and yours becomes an eventual organ donor when the time comes.

Yes, I admit that I dream of diesel transplants, especially in my Dodge van I often wish I heard the sound of a Cummins, but then again, it runs fine and is just a bucket anyway, so financially I'm better off to leave it alone. At 188k miles on a 318 with OD trans never overhauled I should feel lucky!!

On the other hand, I'm the sort that looks for the small "upgrade" that'll make me smile and say, "look what I did," as in the case of my 504 D (check avatar) that does need a new motor. I could replace the 2.3 D with another 2.3 D, and continue with the 4 speed trans, but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as a 2.3 (or 2.5) TD with a 5 speed! And since I've been able to so far rake together some components to make that happen, sure I'll go that route, but if it wasn't a diesel I wouldn't think about putting a diesel in it, it isn't worth it!

Cars can be hard enough to maintain let alone modify and still maintain. I know that most of the maintenance doesn't "show" on the outside, but I can hear it when I'm going down the highway.

my .02 on the situation and now I'll stop pontificating!

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Transplanting the LD28 to a gasser Maxima is feasible, but it is a bigger job than it would seem. One of my cars was converted from gas to diesel, but the previous owner who did the work had owned several diesel Maximas and had a couple of parts cars to work with. I think he said it took two weeks. He changed the entire wiring harness which involved removing the dash - that is just one example of something that might not be obvious when considering such a swap. Changing the front struts for the heavier springs is another hidden task. I think the front crossmember has to change also, etc, etc. He was motivated by having an engine donor car that was sound of drivetrain but so rusted that it wouldn't pass inspection anymore. He did a good job. I haven't found where any shortcuts were taken, and I have a factory diesel to compare to. I agree with the other posts though, I wouldn't do it unless the original chassis was beyond repair and I had a real cream puff to transplant into. With all that said I would really like to put an LD 28 into a small or midsize pickup, but before I would attempt it I would have to talk to someone who had done it already. I would rather learn from someone else's mistakes if I can. :wink:

P.S. I forgot to mention one thing. For all his carefull work, I think the previous owner missed some sound insulation in the floor pan or something. All I know is the converted car is significantly louder in terms of engine noise than the factory car inside.

Hey Al, does your parts book show extra sound insulation for the diesel?
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:Hey Al, does your parts book show extra sound insulation for the diesel?
No, the same hood blanket is listed for all, all years and engines.

Ron, if modifying cars is your hobby, then pretty much anything you accomplish is fun. But if it isn't, then the payoff is a lot more nebulous.

I'd love to eventually add a turbo to one of my LD28s, for emissions reasons mostly, and so I may forgo attemping to modify the IP for more fuel -- I haven't really explored all options yet But both of my running LD28s are smokers and that bothers me a lot. New injectors, biodiesel, and cleaning the intake on my '82 didn't clear up its smoking problem. I haven't done much at all to the engine on the '83 yet.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Al,

I was actually thinking of the floorpan. The noise seems to come through the floor.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If the sound is coming from the floor, it's probably a wrong drivetrain mount or some part of the drivetrain contacting the body or suspension. AFAIK there isn't any floor insulation other than the normal adhesive pad, and little noise comes from that area anyway -- most noise from that area is actually being generated somewhere else. Sorry.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I'm not sure what the noise is. It sounds like exhaust rather than conducted sound. The resonator is right there, but there are no leaks. I think the resonator is a replacement. Maybe its internals are different. No big deal anyway - just a point of curiosity.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The construction of the resonator makes no difference to the noise level from the floor area (unless you're missing some part of the exhaust system and the noise/smoke is not making it to the back bumper -- then the construction of the resonator makes a major difference!). Thin wall or thick, long or short, no substantial amount of noise is radiated from the shell of the resonator

If you hear noise *behind* you, yeah that's the muffler & resonator, but not from underneath, unless there's a leak.

I'd look for a seized engine torque damper (little shock-absorber-like thing behind the IP), a collapsed motor mount, or the exhaust contacting the body somewhere.
Regards,
Al S.