SD 22 suicide !

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

L-R Series 1

SD 22 suicide !

Post by L-R Series 1 »

Hi.

I have a SD 22 from around 1982 / 1983 mounted in my L-R Series 1 86" from 1956. I use it as my every-day car :P

Yesterday i was happily driving and suddenly there is a very loud bang followed with some intence clunking from the engine. I managed to role of frm the highway in to a side road. When i looked under the motor the oil pan had a 20 cm gash and there was a piston rod sticking out :shock: :shock: :shock:

Before driving this day i checked the oil level, i do that at least twice every month, and it was fine. When i was driving i keep the revs around 3 500 to 4000 rpm on the highway.

The big question now is if it's possible to make the engine run again, what the estimated cost for the spareparts are and of course how hard is it to get the parts ? The repairs would be done by myself and a good friend that is very good with engines.

I live in Sweden so the parts will have to be shipped to me.

I would very much appriciate if anybody here could help me with some answers. Here in Sweden the spareparts are very expencive and i would have to buy them thru a Nissan dealer.
waynosworld

Re: SD 22 suicide !

Post by waynosworld »

L-R Series 1 wrote:Hi.

I have a SD 22 from around 1982 / 1983 mounted in my L-R Series 1 86" from 1956. I use it as my every-day car :P

Yesterday i was happily driving and suddenly there is a very loud bang followed with some intence clunking from the engine. I managed to role of frm the highway in to a side road. When i looked under the motor the oil pan had a 20 cm gash and there was a piston rod sticking out :shock: :shock: :shock:

Before driving this day i checked the oil level, i do that at least twice every month, and it was fine. When i was driving i keep the revs around 3 500 to 4000 rpm on the highway.

The big question now is if it's possible to make the engine run again, what the estimated cost for the spareparts are and of course how hard is it to get the parts ? The repairs would be done by myself and a good friend that is very good with engines.

I live in Sweden so the parts will have to be shipped to me.

I would very much appriciate if anybody here could help me with some answers. Here in Sweden the spareparts are very expencive and i would have to buy them thru a Nissan dealer.

That is a very high RPM for a SD22 diesel engine, I generally don't rev over 3000rpms, I have my rearend gearing set up to keep the RPMs below 3000rpms.
We really cannot tell you much without seeing how much damage there is, you likely would be better off finding another diesel engine in your country, or buying one in your local ebay over there if you have one.
All you can do is take the engine out and tear it down to evaluate the damage.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
L-R Series 1

Post by L-R Series 1 »

Attachments
Not a pretty sight!
Not a pretty sight!
IMG_0437.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2240 times
Last edited by L-R Series 1 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
L-R Series 1

Post by L-R Series 1 »

Today when i did some closer inspection on the engine it´s clear that it has passed on to diesel heaven. There was a big hole in the engine-block so i could see right thru the block and thru the gashed oil pan :(

So there will be some parts from that motor for sale later on. I was thinking about the diesel pump, the starter, the water pump. Would it be of any interest, please send me a pm.