Oil Pressure

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

TooManyIdeas

Oil Pressure

Post by TooManyIdeas »

What is the normal oil pressure readings for an SD22 And where can i find a pressurized outlet. I see a plug just behind the heat exchanger, is that it? The goal is to add an actual oil guage and supplimental oil filter / pre-oiler setup.
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
philip
Deceased

Re: Oil Pressure

Post by philip »

TooManyIdeas wrote:What is the normal oil pressure readings for an SD22
"Normal" assumes correct idle speed, oil in good condition, engine oil temperature equal to coolant temperature.

So ... the correct oil pressure at normalized idle is 15-30 psi and the threshold pressure for the oil light is 8-11 psi.

The oil pressure idiot light switch is located on the block right side between the oil heat exchanger and the bottom edge of the block. Has a single wire connection.

Were I to bother with such a pressure gauge install, I would DEFINITLY use a 'Y' adaptor so as to retain the DPC pressure safety feature because the system will react in shutting down the engine MUCH sooner than your casual awareness of oil pressure loss.

Low Oil Pressure AutoShutOff feature
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
zen

Post by zen »

Nissan manual gives 303-363kpa..thats about 42-52psi..it does not state at what rpm this is, so one has to assume its at 3000rpm with warm oil???

Anyway mine is 50 PSI cold at 2000rpm drops to 45ish when proper hot.

Idle, it's 30 PSI down to 19 proper hot.

(thats on an sd33t..but the manual i have covers them both(sd22 and sd33) and gives only one figure..anyway 22 and 33 are virtually identical)
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)