Air Conditioner add-on A/C

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

georgina

Air Conditioner add-on A/C

Post by georgina »

I just bought an '82 datsun diesel king cab. I want to add air conditioning. Is this something that's relatively easy for someone to do? I'd have to hire someone. Would that someone be a shop that specializes in air conditioning or a shop that specializes in diesels?

Thanks. Seattle isn't usually a hot city in the summer, but everything's changing now. I love driving this car, love shifting from 2nd to 3rd, enjoy the gas mileage, miss the cold air.

So it's either air conditioning or installing an ice cube bucket in the open sunroof and enjoying cool air that way...
White '82 Datsun 720 KC
philip
Deceased

Re: air conditioning add-on

Post by philip »

georgina wrote:I just bought an '82 datsun diesel king cab. I want to add air conditioning. Is this something that's relatively easy for someone to do? I'd have to hire someone. Would that someone be a shop that specializes in air conditioning or a shop that specializes in diesels?
The OEM is designed a little different A/C vs. Heat.

AC Kits Arizona

Arizona Mobile Air Inc.
3601 West Clarendon Ave.
Phoenix, Arizona 85019
602-233-0090

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: AMA16580-6057
Price: $733.25
Shipping Weight: 63.00 pounds

Complete After-Market A/C System (AMA16580-6057)

Quantity in Basket: None
Code: AMA16580-6057
Price: $733.25
Shipping Weight: 63.00 pounds

PLUS ... $$

Installer of this system will need to crimp one end of the hose assemblies do to preference of location of components. Automotive service center’s that makes replacement A/C hoses should be able to perform this task at a reasonable cost. Be sure when having hoses crimped that a bubble style crimp is used. Systems come with all A/C components needed for installation. General automotive service tools are required for installation. System will need to be evacuated and charged with refrigerant when installation is complete. Only the highest quality components are used in the A/C systems we provide.

Installation instructions available by request. Send an email to info@ackits.com and reference the system part number or vehicle application.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hello, Georgina, and Welcome!

I was driving my '82 Wagon around to Woodinville today, and praising my decision to replace the thermal expansion valve on the A/C's evaporator a couple of years ago. It was just plain hot (to me) today over there. Something above 80°, which to me is hot.

The OEM A/C system on your 720 is integrated so well into the rest of the ventilation and heating systems, that is not really practical to pay someone to convert it, even if you can round up all the OEM parts -- and the diesel-specific A/C parts are a bit hard to come by. If you use Nissan parts, the entire dash plus the heater core must be removed -- this is not trivial work. If you can find a complete factory A/C system from a donor truck (diesel, of course), it might pay to have it converted, but it is a bit of work and there are many ways to screw up things when you take that much apart. Folks who have no problem with replacing a head gasket can really screw up wiring and pneumatics when R&R'ing a dash. Ask member AStevens!

Philip has given good advice: consider going aftermarket on the A/C system. All new parts and modern technology on those parts will give you less trouble long-run. You will have an aftermarket A/C system installed by someone who does A/C work, not diesel work. Are you sitting down? Expect an installed A/C system to run in the neighborhood of $2000. Yes, that's right: more than the value of your truck (most likely).

We routinely did A/C repair work on factory A/C systems where the repair bill runs over $1000 -- and that's not unusual. The compressor disintegrates, spewing junk throughout the condensor, drier, evaporator. Blech.

Vintage Air is another good company for aftermarket A/C systems (Google them). Your installer is going to have to be flexible and adaptable: there is little room for the compressor, when not using factory brackets and compressor.

When it comes to air conditioning, it's best to buy a vehicle with the system intact (and preferably working) than it is to add it.

HTH.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:-snip- Vintage Air is another good company for aftermarket A/C systems (Google them). Your installer is going to have to be flexible and adaptable: there is little room for the compressor, when not using factory brackets and compressor.-snip-
HTH.

Vintage Air kits do not list kits for their 720 trucks. They would easily call from Arizona Mobile Air Inc. to supply an OEM as I showed earlier. I would not go after a "universal components" approach.

Agreed ... this, like all other a/c installs is $$$.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

VA has no 720 kits, but lots of universal parts.

That AZ kit looks to be a good price. Add 8-16 hours professional labor (?) and it may be a good system. And under my ballpark estimate.
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Hi Georgina,

Is this on the same truck that I sold you earlier this year? If so, it is already equipped with factory-installed AC, which is turned on by pulling the fan speed switch out (away from the dash).

I never tested the system myself, and I removed the compressor belt (in good shape, in one of the cardboard boxes of parts including the engine fan and shroud). So the A/C system is not operational because of the missing belt, which can easily be reinstalled.

I didn't see any oil leaks on the A/C line fittings, and did check the system for freon and it still had some (a really good sign), but the schrader valve was sticking open so I had to use some needle-nose pliers to pull it closed.

Let's talk off-line about this further.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

There is foam sealing between the fan and the evaporator box ... if you have A/C. I just pulled off the fan housing and replaced the two foam. But I found the evaporator coil for a 1984 design is on my 1981 and a little different.

Thing here is my 10/81 truck has a/c evaporator coil that is NOT round tubes. Rather, it has the 1984 coil. But still ... the expansion valve is different a bit compared to either system. Odd.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

looks like an aftermarket japanese evaporator.i get into arguments at work when we identify these to get replacment parts.

diesel kiki will have a printed stamp on the casing with nissan partnumber.
i have seen central printed on some-these are used by lots of aftermarket suppliers so it rare to see them labelled.

its important to clean the alloy evaps to reduce the corrosion.be carefull not to damage the white foam inside so the drain block or the box sweats.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:looks like an aftermarket japanese evaporator.-SNIP-
Diesel Kiki will have a printed stamp on the casing with nissan partnumber.
i have seen central printed on some-these are used by lots of aftermarket suppliers so it rare to see them labelled.-SNIP-.
I did not find a evaporator house "printed stamp." But then, I could not see all around the evap house. The evap is sort of ... more like the 1984 design but for the espansion valve.

Considering this truck was first sold in southern California. It had/has the YOKE/York compressor and mount stamped 10/81. The engine air plenum is uniquely flat. So for the engine ... I wonder where the whole truck was assembled. Do you know?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Sammy579

Re: Air Conditioner add-on A/C

Post by Sammy579 »

Those were quite clear diagrams and pictures.