Fuse blowing

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

billyg

Fuse blowing

Post by billyg »

I've searched the forum and was unable to find anything addressing my problem so here goes; the fuse for the running (front sides and rear back) lights, which is fuse # 13 in the box blows as soon as I put one in. This is also the circuit for the dome light but it still fries it with the dome bulb out and the cannon plug connecting the entire back end (underneath the bed in back right about 2 feet from the bumper) disconnected. I tried to trace it using the manual (factory) but it's a real eye chart. So it's a dead ground somewhere in the system and I was wondering if anybody else had run across this. Headlamps/Brake lights and signals still work fine.

I did find the plug under the passenger seat which removes more of the circuit toward the back of the truck, uncoupled it, and it still blew so it's somewhere towards the front, including under the dash. Any pointers appreciated.

BTW, PHILLIP, hope your feeling better!
"Let me control a nations currency and I care not who makes the laws" N.M Rothschild
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

See the 1982 FSM lighting wiring diagram (not schematic).

Disconnect connector 102M/1C. Current draw OK? Then the short is on the rear circuit.

If current draw is still excessive, cut wire Red/Yellow as it comes out of connector 76M as it exits the MF switch. Current draw OK? Short is in front circuit.

Still excessive current? Bad MF switch.

Without doing this diagnosis tree, my best guess? Front turn sig/marker lamp sockets and their harnesses. They are the most vulnerable. I have seen (once) a shorted dual-filament lamp, so you may as well take apart both front turn sig sockets, remove lamps, clean out sockets. The wires can break at the solder pads in the bottom of the socket where the bulb contacts. Wire comes loose from the fibreboard disk, shorts to the metal socket. But that is only a guess.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
billyg

Short at the interior light

Post by billyg »

fixed and no problems since, just for the record.
"Let me control a nations currency and I care not who makes the laws" N.M Rothschild
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

OK, but what did you fix?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
billyg

blown fuse

Post by billyg »

Sorry, the interior light was on one of the legs of the circuit and when i pulled the fixture to check it, there was a wire that had cracked and was grounding out on the underside of the roof.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It's good to know what the problem was, as people are always coming here via a Google search and looking for answers. Thanks, Bill.
Regards,
Al S.