1987 Nissan D21 SD25

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

From a similar IP in the Toyota 2L FSM:
Image Image
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

That drawing is nearly exactly what is shown in my FSM. Just for fun I disabled the CSD yesterday and took it for a drive. No difference in power to mine. Only difference was lower idle until it warmed up. Shrug :roll: I believe mine is working. I am not sure where exactly it is that it advances the timing, it must be through something internal because none of the levers outside do anything other than press on the throttle linkage to increase cold RPM. I believe the actual advance occurs inside. Unlike the early VW rabbits that a choke type cable would pull a lever. Al :?: :?:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yes, the CSD props the timing up a fixed amount until around 1500 RPM (?); above that, the std timing advance applies. The CSD shaft runs inside to a cam that abuts the rear of the timing piston.

The VW's manual cable did the same thing that the CSD's wax pellet does automatically, except the CSD props the idle speed too via its connection to the accel linkage.

My CSD on the '82 Wagon has been frozen since before I bought it in '96.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.