Hood Insulation

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Zeyemurgy

Hood Insulation

Post by Zeyemurgy »

What is the purpose of the insulation on the underside of the hood and is it really necessary?
I want to clean and repaint but I'm afraid that it's not going to come off in any fashion that's going to be able to be put back on.
If insulation is really necessary I could replace it with something a little more modern, I guess.
Thoughts?
'82 720 KC w/SD22
Salem, OR
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Here in Canada, the insulation helps prevent ice buildup on the hood by keeping engine heat from melting snow that lands on it. I removed it when it began dropping down and critters kept shewing it up. I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference and there wasn't any big increase in noise either.

YMMV,

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There is a US Federal noise limit (or, I should say, was a limit). The hood insulation was a noise abatement device in the US. My '84 Ford F250 actually had both hood insulation and blankets of the stuff on portions of the inner fenderwells. The owners manual for the F250 mentions that removal of this insulation puts the vehicle in non-compliance of the Federal regulation!

It can be removed. But you will get more reflected noise, and the 720 is noisy enough already. There is, doubtless, a modern aftermarket product that can work as well. It gets to be pretty grimy after all these years, and can't be effectively cleaned nor removed and replaced.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.