Ignition Switch for D21

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Ignition Switch for D21

Post by plenzen »

I had been having some issues with the ignition switch on my D21 and it seemed like the contact in the "Start" position was not working all that well. I had to sometimes hold or wiggle the key when it was in the “Start” position. I went to Nissan and looked at trying to order a new switch. I was expecting laughter and jeers etc. but, as it turned out, it was in fact available! In fact, it was in the warehouse and was only a day away (I missed that days delivery time).
The ignition switch on this truck is in two pieces. There is the "key" part and then the "switch" part that fits on the end. The key part looks after the steering lock, and of course the security etc. The switch portion is a small round part that fits on the end of the lock with a single tiny machine screw and has 5 heavy gauge wires soldered to it and a plug on the end that goes to the main harness. It took me about 15 minutes to install it. The Nissan Part # is 48750-01G00 and was $70.00. :roll:
This part, as well as well as the whole assembly is common to all D21’s of this vintage, Gas and Diesel models.
I was also advised that there is a small sticker in the glove box on the door that has the ignition key code on it. I gave them that code and they cut me two new keys as well. They work great and I can now unlock the passenger side door with a key as I was not able too with the OE key that I was still using. The OE key was really loose in the ignition switch and very badly worn. I had been thinking that the switch was worn as well, and it very well may be, but this new key is much MUCH tighter and the whole things feels like brand new again.
SFSG as for the start sequence. :)
It may also be that the solenoid is not moving far enough fast enough to engage the starter motor contacts. At least this portion is working well.
Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Not to upset you, but the electrical part you purchased is available on ebay starting at $2.99.
NAPA has it for $20.00 .
I am aware of several people having to replace them during the past year.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Thats what I get for hurry. I was worried that with this cold weather we have had here ( -30's C ) that it was going to let me down. PLUS with NAPA Canada they have pretty much oil and filters, wipers, jack stands, shop towels and that is about it. The parts availability is totally different from what they have in the US. Went through that trying to source a starter. I even took them the Beck Arnley part #'s and they just stared at me.
:roll:
EDIT:
I see that there now @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ignition ... 35ad926cb0

I searched Ebay.ca and there was no post there. It is a smokin deal from what I paid and I guess I could have ordered it and had it shipped. My guess is that would take 10 days by standard shipping, and add 100% to the price plus brokerage fees and it would have been around the 35.00 mark. Still half price.

Oh well

I will slash up later :?

:roll:
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Ignition Switch for D21

Post by asavage »

plenzen wrote:The ignition switch on this truck is in two pieces. There is the "key" part and then the "switch" part that fits on the end. The key part looks after the steering lock, and of course the security etc. The switch portion is a small round part that fits on the end of the lock with a single tiny machine screw and has 5 heavy gauge wires soldered to it and a plug on the end that goes to the main harness.
Lots of info on keys, keycodes, and servicing the switch & lock in this thread.

Sample keycode in Nissan glovebox.
Image Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
nissandieselcrazy

Post by nissandieselcrazy »

I'm not keeping my truck original and i don't care about an ignition key so i replaced it with a switch for acc power, one for engine power and a push button for starting
SD22 in 86.5 Nissan K/C 4x4 scapped
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

nissandieselcrazy wrote:I'm not keeping my truck original and i don't care about an ignition key so i replaced it with a switch for acc power, one for engine power and a push button for starting
Heh! That'll work. And with the correct ritual needed to start these engines, your average (stupid and lazy) car thief wouldn't ever get it running anyway:-)
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Plus, if aforementioned thief were to steal it you could catch him on foot anyway, but, use a bike instead, that way you are not too tired to kick his ass when you catch him.

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
nissandieselcrazy

Post by nissandieselcrazy »

It was not to hard to figure out you have five wires. two are start wires. the other three are acc and engine run. I will take pictures and get wire markings.
SD22 in 86.5 Nissan K/C 4x4 scapped