fuel strainer

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

davehoos

fuel strainer

Post by davehoos »

On JOHN DEER tractor with common rail injection[only a few yrs old] these have a precleaner for the fuel filter.

its a cylinder filter made of alloy aboult the the size of a generic plastic fuel filter.the hose at each end is about 8mm.it has a sholder as its to suit a quick release hose conectors that are not expencive if you dont want to use rubber and a hose clamp.

i cut an old unit open and its a decent wire mech filter that i cant see why i have to replace these at every service.the system has a hi pressure pump and the filter operates at 30-60PSI but it would work ok in the suction side.

i cut this open to look at the strainer and my plan was to drill 1/2 in holes and use as a pickup strainer in the fuel tank.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Just curious, Dave.

Why fabricate something? Are there not easily available and reasonably priced strainers for that tank?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

Ive listed this here to show that goos metal diesl strainer can be puchased without buying paper type filters for vehicles like 720/D21 to protect the lift pumps.

inline strainers are hard to buy-and bottom of tank strainers often only come as assemblies.we have a lot of onsite and rural vehicles i service that are filled by drum.6 months we flushed 6 vehicles and i replace filters at half recomended intervals.

most modern vehicles use submerged fuel pumps.if your not using the pump--IE a conversion--the filter is the same dia as a bosch[common] fuel pump.so it can be mounted in the bracket.most modern vehicles use a plastic woven sock tat very quicly becomes blocked closest to the pickup pipe.other use a plastic can strainer that not sold seporatly.and i havnt seen aftermarket replacements.

last week we replaced the fuel pump in a D21 king cab Z24.we removed the rear body as its easier than remove tank.the sender unit/pump asm comes out the top.
the 2.3 PSI jap pump has been replaced with a bosch pump.i removed the pump,extended the hose to the bottom tied off to the sender bracket.a steel pipe would have been better.a cheep fascet pump had previously been fitted in series then the wire disconected???.the fascet pump comes with a screw in filter on the suct side.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.