Oil Capacity,tune up questions

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Redrocket

Oil Capacity,tune up questions

Post by Redrocket »

Hey folks, new to the forum here. I just sold my 12 mpg Chevy this weekend and picked up a 1982 Datsun sd22 5 speed.

Im going to tune it up this weekend, go through it and check things out a bit. I ordered a fuel filter, oil filter, air filter and will change the alternator belt.

I need to know the oil capacity and the oil weight to run. It has 193k and doesnt seem to smoke to speak of. I was thinking of running 15-40 but if I can get away with a lighter grade for mpg I will.

Is there anything else on here to check out? Also, if I was a repair manual for one of these units, where would I be?

Oh, I have a hitachi direct drive starter on the way too! Ill be installing that this weekend.

Thanks in advance folks!
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

Also I am looking to downgrade the tires and rims to take it back to stock. They are a bear to turn and rub and I really dont want aluminum wheels on her anyway.

So what is the stock tire and wheel size?

Here is my $1000 prize.
1982Datsunsd22

Oil capacity and some other info

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

Welcome! The oil capacityw/ filter is 5.2 us quarts. My Datsun has 194,000,and has had 15-40 wt in it all its life . There is a [late] member here 'Phillip' . His postings are very detailed. He passed 3 yrs ago. i now own his truck. The orig owner gave it to phil in 05. The Orig owner got it back from his estate, and I bought in in 2010. I would also change the rear end fluid and very important ,the transmission fluid. I would recommend getting a factory service manual. Tire size is 185/14. check out 'Phillip's' posting . he did a great job tuning and repairing the datsun.
Valves set @ .014 HOT for both intake and exhaust. I also use diesel fuel additive. It helps the pumps with the low sulphur diesel we have now. I do manage to get 33/35 mpg city, and up to 40 hwy@ 55-60 mph. In a couple of weeks I plan to do a short vid of my truck and post it on my You Tube channel [there is a link on the member list. ] I love my Datsun Diesel and will never go back to a 'Gasser"
1982Datsunsd22

Oil capacity and some other info

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

Welcome! The oil capacityw/ filter is 5 1/2 us quarts. My Datsun has 194,000,and has had 15-40 wt in it all its life . There is a [late] member here 'Phillip' . His postings are very detailed. He passed 3 yrs ago. i now own his truck. The orig owner gave it to phil in 05. The Orig owner got it back from his estate, and I bought in in 2010. I would also change the rear end fluid and very important ,the transmission fluid. I would recommend getting a factory service manual. Tire size is 185/14. check out 'Phillip's' posting . he did a great job tuning and repairing the datsun.
Valves set @ .014 HOT for both intake and exhaust. I also use diesel fuel additive. It helps the pumps with the low sulphur diesel we have now. I do manage to get 33/35 mpg city, and up to 40 hwy@ 55-60 mph. In a couple of weeks I plan to do a short vid of my truck and post it on my You Tube channel [there is a link on the member list. ] I love my Datsun Diesel and will never go back to a 'Gasser" I just remembered! make sure you locktite the starter bolts!! Both of mine fell out, and the starter "Nose ' got ground up by the flywheel. No damage,[to the flywheel] but what a noise!
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

Wow, thats some great info sir. Thank you very much, and I look forward to seeing that video. :D
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

I grazed though some of Phillips postings and you are right. That was a very knowledgeable guy.

So one more question for you. What do you recommend for tranny and diff fluid? I have used royal purple syncromax in the tranny and amsoil in the rest in previous trucks, but this truck is much older.
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

Wow, that starter was a bear to pull. I dont know how you folks do it but I had to unbolt the motor mount and lift the engine an inch or two to get the starter out. It was a mission success though and the new direct drive works great giving me faster starts. We will see how she does in the morning doing a cold start.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I use Red Line MT90 in the trans and Red Line 75/90 in the diff. I am sure the Royal Purple and Amsoil products will be fine as well.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

Excelent. Thank you sir.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Redrocket.
The starter is a bear to remove. You should be able to remove the ccv pipe and have room to remove the starter (info for future) .
Your truck looks good, just never plan to get in a hurry.
Where did you find the DD starter?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
Redrocket

Post by Redrocket »

Thanks man. I'm getting ready to paint the ole girl. Ive put a hand full of miles on her already and I think its a blast to drive.

I got the starter at Napa, Hitachi DD for $88 plus tax shipping and core which came to just over $130. When I got it in, I was immediately suprised at how much quicker the little rig started. :D Im a happy camper.
chevy43

Post by chevy43 »

Great looking truck!

I'm a new owner of a '82 King Cab.

Could you post the Napa # for your starter?

Thanks,
T.

P.S., I think those wheels don't look bad and they have a lot of life in them. What size are they?
82 720 Diesel
mrorganic778

Re: Oil capacity and some other info

Post by mrorganic778 »

1982Datsunsd22 wrote:Welcome! The oil capacityw/ filter is 5.2 us quarts. My Datsun has 194,000,and has had 15-40 wt in it all its life . There is a [late] member here 'Phillip' . His postings are very detailed. He passed 3 yrs ago. i now own his truck. The orig owner gave it to phil in 05. The Orig owner got it back from his estate, and I bought in in 2010. I would also change the rear end fluid and very important ,the transmission fluid. I would recommend getting a factory service manual. Tire size is 185/14. check out 'Phillip's' posting . he did a great job tuning and repairing the datsun.
Valves set @ .014 HOT for both intake and exhaust. I also use diesel fuel additive. It helps the pumps with the low sulphur diesel we have now. I do manage to get 33/35 mpg city, and up to 40 hwy@ 55-60 mph. In a couple of weeks I plan to do a short vid of my truck and post it on my You Tube channel [there is a link on the member list. ] I love my Datsun Diesel and will never go back to a 'Gasser"

I just changed the oil in my 1982 SD22 and i only got 3.25 quarts of oil in. I drained the engine over night and changed the oil filter. Now i am really wondering why i could only get 3.25 quarts of oil in it. My oil level is right in the middle of the add and full marks on my dipstick. I was surprised to only get 3.25 quarts in. :?:
waynosworld

Re: Oil capacity and some other info

Post by waynosworld »

mrorganic778 wrote:
1982Datsunsd22 wrote:Welcome! The oil capacityw/ filter is 5.2 us quarts. My Datsun has 194,000,and has had 15-40 wt in it all its life . There is a [late] member here 'Phillip' . His postings are very detailed. He passed 3 yrs ago. i now own his truck. The orig owner gave it to phil in 05. The Orig owner got it back from his estate, and I bought in in 2010. I would also change the rear end fluid and very important ,the transmission fluid. I would recommend getting a factory service manual. Tire size is 185/14. check out 'Phillip's' posting . he did a great job tuning and repairing the datsun.

I just changed the oil in my 1982 SD22 and i only got 3.25 quarts of oil in. I drained the engine over night and changed the oil filter. Now i am really wondering why i could only get 3.25 quarts of oil in it. My oil level is right in the middle of the add and full marks on my dipstick. I was surprised to only get 3.25 quarts in. :?:

Is this after you started it, as the oil filter will take a quart to fill it, then that seems about right to me if you have not started it yet.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.