emergency hookup plus.............

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

chas

emergency hookup plus.............

Post by chas »

my first post so be gentle, please... i just put my 81 2wd sd 2.2 into my "new" 84 4wd nissan 720... didn't change out the wiring harness at first but realized it had to be done... resulted in: glow plug light barely flashes, it requires going to start twice to get the fuel pump prepared to start, it's necessary to disconnect the battery to avoid going dead and the fuel gauge isn't working... with a little effort, i'll have it worked out but thought maybe someone else made this same mistake with the harness and could save me some time...

the issue i can't seem to resolve is the hookup for the emergency cable... i removed the body due to the 84's frame/cross members... nearly 20 lbs of .30 wire, the good components of the 81 720 and weeks of free time latter, i have a decent truck... the driver's side cable bracket is welded back in place and the cable is hooked in as it was to the front section cable via the "swivel"... pull the handle and that brake works... but the passenger side has me baffled... no idea where the bracket was located, cables not long enough to mount the bracket in front of the swivel so when pulling the brake on it would work properly and if i hook it from behind, pulling the brake on simply pushes it backwards obviously not setting that brake... does anyone have a pic showing the swivel, pass. sd bracket location and how/where the cables tie into it?

if anyone has a service manual for a decent price, please post price and address and i'll contact you asap...

thanks,
chas (appreciate the site)
chas
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Not your answer, but a question. Did you have to modify the oil pan?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
chas

Post by chas »

dn, considering the fact my cab mounts were nonexistent, i had no choice but to weld tubing the length of the rockers and then across the body where the old mounts had been... when i added the rubber "absorbers" (made up from varying car companies), the body's height was about 2 (+) inches higher than originally... this allowed for raising the motor mounts (they also need to be moved forward some but the radiator will still fit) enough to avoid modifying the oil pan... the hood is much closer to the intake but plenty of clearance... raised the transmission about three quarters of an inch although honestly i went by eye and am guessing at the measurement...

good luck...........

chas
chas