Wiring for injector pump bosch in-line SD25

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

JBat

Wiring for injector pump bosch in-line SD25

Post by JBat »

Hi Folks

Thanks for all the great information on this site.
I am bench testing a spare motor I have for my tiring SD25 (1997 pick-up) that I have had for about a year and a half......it is a great little truck with 480,000 km on it (with this engine).

The "new" motor has an in-line pump, the one in the truck now has a VE.
2 Questions:

1) wiring:
I am not clear on the functioning of the pump controller on the spare motor with the in-line IP. That may not? matter as much as my lack of wiring knowledge of same. The wiring harness was cut off on the far side of the 7 pin round plug/connector that is quite near the pump controller, so I have no idea where they went. Five of the seven wires go into the top of the pump controller body and two disappear behind it.
I don't know why it needs so many wires, but someone decided they were important I guess!
All I need to do now is to test the the running of the motor. Does anyone know which wires I would hook up to the battery to make the thing work...or will it work without any electrical input? I guess when I put it int he truck I will have to know where they all go and what they do, but for now.....

2) lift pump
Next related question is; I see in other posts here that there is a lift pump in the system...presumably in the tank....but I will have to put one somewhere else I guess for the test. Any ideas on a cheap pump that would do this little test job? Can I just give it gravity feed?

When I use the hand primer I get fuel coming out of the return line so fuel is now getting through the system.

I would post a picture of the wiring, but don't know how to do that on this forum.

Thanks so much

JBat

p.s ..FYI I have been running the current engine on straight veggie oil for the past year. I have run my past two VWs on it and also my sail boat. I have had no problems with anything veggie related that I know of over the past 5 years of doing this. Pretty simple and cheap conversion process that I designed and installed myself (two tank system). More later if anyone is interested.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Why not swap the VE pump for the in line one ? You can then retain your CSD and it's a simple 1 wire pump without all the drama that the in line pumps come with ( controller, alt compensator etc. )

The lift pumps are typically on the fuel pump so no real need to install one, The lift pump on the in line is actually part of the plunger you operate, or, the plunger is part of the lift pump to be correct.

The above being said I purchased a small electric diesel fuel pump for a Yanmar industrial diesel engine and installed it on my 1987. It makes for easier filter swaps etc. and your not pumping and pumping to clear the air. Just turn on the pump and let it run for a minute or so and then start the engine and it will purge all the air by itself.

I will try and find the link on this site for that pump and it's specs should you want one.

If you search around on the forum here I recall there are a number of related posts to do with the controller and even a wiring diagram that Phillip did a couple years back.

HTH

Paul
Edit:
Found this link for the specs for the pump.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 6&start=15

it's near the bottom of page 2

Paul

Edit Again

Found this and it was in fact Al that did the write up on the controller

Everything you need to know is here I believe

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ng+diagram
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
niseamer

Bench testing SD25 and fuel controller question

Post by niseamer »

plenzen wrote:Why not swap the VE pump for the in line one ? You can then retain your CSD and it's a simple 1 wire pump without all the drama that the in line pumps come with ( controller, alt compensator etc. )

The lift pumps are typically on the fuel pump so no real need to install one, ...........

Paul

Edit Again

Found this and it was in fact Al that did the write up on the controller

Everything you need to know is here I believe

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ng+diagram
Thanks for your response. It has been a while but I was away for some time and when I got back couldn't get in to my account....have a new one now ("neamer").

I tested the fuel controller as per directions and discovered it is a bit noisy and wonky...it takes off and goes through several cycles, sometimes just does what it is 'supposed' to do and sometime does nothing. I don't have the DCP so in the end just bypassed it. I now have the engine in my truck with a new(er) transmission (last tranny blew due to the shop not tightening the drain plug - they hadn't put in more than two engine to bell housing bolts either and the two they did put in were not even finger tight!...B&A transmission in Port Alberni, B.C.....sighhh.
I have the truck running now but not moving yet. After a lot of finnicky fuel line issues, building new engine mounts, installing an oil pressure gauge, getting the wrong transmission sent...etc.. I tried to test drive tonight and the clutch is jammed. I will find a more appropriate thread to post this issue to so others can find it easier.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Niseamer
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Most of the SD25 engines must be in Canada.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

They used the SD25 in the 85 and 86 720 pickups in the US although they were not fitted with the same fuel pumps as the D21s that came to Canada. They use the SD25 in forklifts as well although not certain what fuel pumps they use on them. I suspect the year and where it was going may dictate what fuel application was required.
I know somewhere I suggested to swap the VE pump with the inline pump but that will not work as the VE pump has only 3 bolts. Unless the whole front cover is changes it will not work.
P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

Actually the SD-25 was used a bit earlier down here in the States. I have a 83 with a production date of 4-83 with the SD-25 and with the inline Pump.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

plenzen wrote:They used the SD25 in the 85 and 86 720 pickups in the US although they were not fitted with the same fuel pumps as the D21s that came to Canada. They use the SD25 in forklifts as well although not certain what fuel pumps they use on them. I suspect the year and where it was going may dictate what fuel application was required.
I know somewhere I suggested to swap the VE pump with the inline pump but that will not work as the VE pump has only 3 bolts. Unless the whole front cover is changes it will not work.
P
You just swap everything on the front of the engine to go from a inline pump to a VE pump, even the gears, everything in front of and including the plate, crank gear, cam gear, and injection pump gear.
I was looking at the plates one day, and thought maybe a 3rd lower hole could be made, but I got no farther than thinking about it.
I went from an inline to VE type injection pump for a future turbocharge conversion, and now I have seen a successful inline turbocharge build with no issues so far, oh well. :lol:
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.