Oil Pressure Sending Unit Thread Info Needed

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

1982Datsunsd22

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

I would like to add a oil pressure gauge in addition to the factory light with a 'T" fitting . I have done this on many American Vehicles .This being my first Metric truck, I am not sure about Metric pipe fittings. I know that these sending units are delicate [plastic/metal] and can be easily damaged. On my 56 Ford it was a 1/8 NPT pipe fitting . Any help would be appreciated. And one other note, I just did a brake job. Then I had this rattle. [It was Loud!]After adjusting the parking brake cable, the grommet came loose [where the cable goes thru the frame] . Cable was metal to metal with frame . Re- attached grommet w/ RTV ..Rattle gone .
niseamer

Re: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Thread Info Needed

Post by niseamer »

1982Datsunsd22 wrote:I would like to add a oil pressure gauge in addition to the factory light with a 'T" fitting . I have done this on many American Vehicles .This being my first Metric truck, I am not sure about Metric pipe fittings. I know that these sending units are delicate [plastic/metal] and can be easily damaged. On my 56 Ford it was a 1/8 NPT pipe fitting . Any help would be appreciated. And one other note, I just did a brake job. Then I had this rattle. [It was Loud!]After adjusting the parking brake cable, the grommet came loose [where the cable goes thru the frame] . Cable was metal to metal with frame . Re- attached grommet w/ RTV ..Rattle gone .
Older post and assume you have it figured out by now...but for those who haven't yet... I just went through this in Canada (supposedly a metric country). I live on the West Coast of Vancouver Island (Ucluelet)
The proper thread is almost impossible to find, but I did discover through a guy who had a Toyota that the British Standard Pipe (1/8) is a very close match and with a bit of gasket maker goop have made it fit OK and not leak at all. I would be careful about how much you tighten the fittings though. I put a T in where the oil line to the back of the alternator goes.

Good luck
BarryLaX

Post by BarryLaX »

My 62 had the oil tube to the gauge. If you have an electric sender, I wonder if it is non-original and perhaps a custom modification.