Air in the Fuel

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Johnny Law

Air in the Fuel

Post by Johnny Law »

I have an 82 720 with an SD22. I was out with the girl on the way home from dinner when I saw a bagged yota diesel with a big old stack. Next thing you know he is rolling coal all over the place! So of coarse I follow him a bit because it was a pretty cool sight... next thing you know I am trying to hot rod my little sd22 (it will puff black smoke out if I really get on it). We nod at each other and part ways. Drop my girlfriend off at her apartment and come back to my truck. Turn the key and it just turns over... nothing.

I have had this issue before. I was pulling a 2000 Subaru Outback about 3 miles with a tow dolly and old Snake (my truck) was really struggling. When I reached the destination I turned it off. Went to crank it back up 20 mins or so later and nothing...

Anyways. I found out that I must have a weak seal on a fuel line or filter somewhere? When I really get on the throttle (much more than intended for this truck) it will suck in air somehow.

So air gets into the fuel system and needs to be bled. NO PROBLEM... well tonight when bleeding the fuel pump I somehow broke the bleeder screw right in half! DANG! Ordered 2 new ones, I will replace them both to be safe. $4.70 per screw and but the true screw (over) was the $11 economy shipping...

Anyways! This is my first post on this site! Seems to be a great resource!

John
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Welcome :D

Not sure what the bleeder screw is you broke, I hope you got it started though.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Welcome to the forum.

Where did you order the parts from?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
Johnny Law

Post by Johnny Law »

BIG PROBLEM

I was contacted by Nissanpartzone and they said they no longer had the screw! I really need one ASAP!

The part number is 16711-99000. There are 2 of them and I only need one. If you have a Bosch Diesel KIKI injector it is one of the two bleeder screws on the top of it.

If any one has one for sale or has an old injector pump that doesn't work and is for parts or even is a good enough deal to just buy outright PLEASE LE ME KNOW!

I need to get the truck up and running by about a week! I will pay you to overnight the shipping and pay for the part!

John
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I would think that your local fuel injection rebuild shop will have one lying around.
Take in your good one and show them.
Many of the inline bosch/kiki pumps share external parts.

And

Welcome to the forum
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

(click on any image for larger)

Image Image

What Paul said: these bleeder screws were used for a lot of years. You can't substitute something else without probably screwing up the IP housing.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Johnny Law wrote:BIG PROBLEM

I was contacted by Nissanpartzone and they said they no longer had the screw! I really need one ASAP!

The part number is 16711-99000. There are 2 of them and I only need one. If you have a Bosch Diesel KIKI injector it is one of the two bleeder screws on the top of it.

If any one has one for sale or has an old injector pump that doesn't work and is for parts or even is a good enough deal to just buy outright PLEASE LE ME KNOW!

I need to get the truck up and running by about a week! I will pay you to overnight the shipping and pay for the part!

John
Did you ever find this part?
PM me if you have not, I have what you need.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.