Transmission Fluid Change

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

1982Datsunsd22

Transmission Fluid Change

Post by 1982Datsunsd22 »

About One year ago,I changed my trans fluid. Checking my records, I installed Gl-5 instead of Gl-4! I should have known better. My other truck is a 1958 Chevy . It too requires [Gl-4] . So I drained The sd22.[no metal particles in fluid] Getting G-l4 is getting to be a problem. So I bought some Redline Synthetic MT-09 75/90 Gl-4 @$15.99 a Quart [Ouch!] I live in Southern California so it never gets that cold here.But is does get hot. What I have noticed is the trans shifts 80% better!, And the Noise from the sd22 transmission Input bearing has been greatly reduced. Unlike Engine Oil, Transmission fluid does not have to be changed that often. Redline has some technical Info at there Website . http://www.redlineoil.com . So far So Good!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Been using the Red Line MT90 for 6 or 7 years now.
It made a huge difference here in the winters compared to the dino oil.

I had Amsoil in the trans for a bit but felt that the Red Line made for smoother shifts. ( IMO )

I did however keep the Amsoil gear lube in the diff.

Both are a quality product.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
scottfelsen

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Post by scottfelsen »

I use Mobil one Synthetic ATF in my 5 speed manual transmission. I have used it for 5 years and have close to 100,000 miles on the transmission. No issues whatsoever. Take that tech nerds and GL4!!!