'81 720 Runs, then doesn't.

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Xonk61

'81 720 Runs, then doesn't.

Post by Xonk61 »

My truck has been gradually declining, it will run for miles, then, especially when going up a hill, when I shift into a lower gear and increasing RPMs, start chugging. I replaced the fuel filter, bled the air from the lines, and thought I had it done. Then the test run, (about 3 miles) left the truck stranded at the side of the road. First thought was that I'd not completely bled the air from the fuel lines, but it seems it wouldn't have gone the 3 miles if there was air in the lines. I'm borrowing a neighbor's car to pick up an air filter this morning, (it's due for one of those too, but I had to order it, not a stock item... like the fuel filter also wasn't!) Any ideas of where to look next for why the truck will run, then choke up and quit? It really acts like it's not getting fuel.

I got the truck towed back to the yard, removed the old air filter, and found what may be another clue. Something I've not seen before, the inside (engine side) of the filter appears loaded with soot. I don't know what that might be a symptom of!

I've reposted this on the SD2x Diesel engines under the same subject line, but will update that one as I discover more and probe deeper
plenzen

Re: '81 720 Runs, then doesn't.

Post by plenzen »

and that is where i just answered it
Good luck
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN