SD2x transmission issues: FS5W71x series of 5-spds

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

The FSM is not very clear on how this is done, but the trick is (IIRC), with everything in the neutral position, to turn the shifter (striker guide) to the left (over to the first/second side, but without the stopper guide pin it will go past that), push the tail housing all the way on, then move the shifter back to the middle position. Be sure that the stopper guide pin is not assembled until the tailshaft is on.

'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Thanks Knucklehead, I took it apart to see if I had assembled it wrong the first time, but I did have it right. I was thrown off because I wasn't able to move the striker pin to the neutral position that would then allow me to move the striker guide, everything is working fine now. Its installed in the truck now with the diesel engine, I've just have to fit the driver side engine mount and then the powertrain will be fully installed.

David
Dr. Jones

Noisy Transmission

Post by Dr. Jones »

Hi all,

I have a FS5W71B that is fairly noisy with clutch disengaged? (rest position) Am I wrong to assume that if I replace the front bearing my transmission will be in "good" mechanical shape, but will still have the same sound with the clutch disengaged? Is there a point of no return with this tranmissions. Is there a such thing as to much noise before changing the bearing that will result in a crapped tranmission regardless? If so does anyone know any quick and dirty tricks? or better yet quick and clean?
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Sorry Doc, it's not that easy. No way to tell for sure, and anything you skimp on will come back to bite you later. I've done it enough times to know. It's an easy trans to work on, but while you're in there you might as well do everything you can. I'm not sure what you mean about the noise because disengaged/rest is unclear. If your foot is at rest, then the clutch is engaged. On the other hand, if you're stepping on the pedal the clutch is disengaged but the trans is at rest. If there is only noise when you step, just do the throw out bearing. If the noise is there while idling in neutral and your foot off the pedal, then the bearings in the trans are bad and you should do everything possible.
'29 HD FD export model
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Thanks that sounds like sound advice. Do you think it would be better to try and track down the parts for the FS5W71B or go with the case mod and cut drive shaft and replace with the F5W71C with the larger bearing?
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Bigger may be better, but whether your need is worth the effort is something only you can decide. Rebuild parts for the B are easily available and relatively inexpensive. It's the gears and shafts that are expensive for either B or C.
'29 HD FD export model
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I think I am am going to find the parts for the B. I believe the original transmission has over 320k miles, if I get half that I'll be happy. Thanks again.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Dr. Jones

Luttle over a year later and I'm finally getting to it

Post by Dr. Jones »

Little over a year later and I'm finally getting to it. Could someone look at this pic of my reverse idler gear and tell me if the teeth are to worn to reuse, I don't mind having to shift to first before going to reverse.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Dr. Jones

Rebuild under way

Post by Dr. Jones »

Wow, little over a year and I'm finally getting to it. I have the whole thing apart and ordered a rebuild kit from driveline.com. It has bearings (1 needle), front cover gasket and 2 seals. Does anyone know where to get thrust washers and snap rings or if mine are in good shape can I reuse them?

My failure occurred on the bench and was in the adapter plate, I think the smaller bearing but I will check again and upload pictures later.

Thanks
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

Before you get your transmission put back together. check on the adaptor plate, there is a small metal trough that fits into a hole, one side is flaired out. the other side collects oil I guess to dumps it on the other side on a gear or?

I had my trans apart about 2 plus yrs ago, and this trough was about ready to break off. It was just hanging by a thread. If it had, it would have messed up some gears.

It is a dealer item part# 32137-E9000 Gutter-Oil. On 1-12-09 it was $2.87 plus tax.

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I broke mine off, I think I'm just going to save the scraps and make my own. I not a mechanic but I don't think it would be likely to damage the tans to pass that thin gauge material through the gears, again definitely not an expert on these matters
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The drain magnet would hold the bits down, once they got chewed small enough.

The gears are harder than sheet metal.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
benquick

Bearing brand

Post by benquick »

Dr Jones, what brand bearings came from driveline? I am in the midst of of transmission rebuild on a 1984 King Cab. While I have it apart I am probably going to replace the reverse main and idler gears. Both have about 3 damaged teeth - chipped or cracked across about 1/4 of the width. New ones from the dealer will run about $200. Right now the tranny is _completely_ disassembed on the bench in labeled zip lock bags.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

I think Nachti I will check when I get home. It was roughly $100 came with all bearings except needle bearings although I did get one needle bearing and it came with the seals and gasket. Are you replacing snap rings and thrust washers? If so can you point me in the direction of your supplier? Let me go ahead and ask this since if not for any other reason than to eliminate possibilities, You won't know where I can find the bearing retainer plate that attaches to the adapter plate, would you? I talked with Nissan and they said $23 dollars then they said there wasn't one anywhere in the country.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Does anyone know how I could find out if the bearing retainer plate from a 74-77 280 z 4 spd transmission is the same as FS5W71B. Or does anyone know if these transmission will bolt onto the LD28?
'82 Maxima Sedan x2