Oil filter assembly for CN4-33 Diesel in Challenger 35

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Terry Kortum

Oil filter assembly for CN4-33 Diesel in Challenger 35

Post by Terry Kortum »

Hello all,
I have been on a quest for an oil filter element guide for my filter assembly on a 1974 CN4-33 marine diesel. An idiot (me) forgot to remove it from the old filter during the last oil change and I have had no luck finding a replacement. I even contacted Nissan in Japan and someone there was helpful enough to suggest I hog one out of billet.

I did get lucky enough to stumble on to this forum in my searches and hopefully someone here can direct me to the part or offer some suggestions more realistic than hogouts.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Your engine looks something like this?

Image Image Image

I don't have even an illustration of what the part you seek looks like. The SD engines in 720 PUs don't use the cannister filter.

Though the SD in non-automotive trim does (sometimes) use a cannister filter.

However, the SD33 (Six cylinder) as used in the 1976-80 IH Scout (Terra, etc) do use a cannister filter.

NAPA/Wix 1282 oil filter

So, you might inquire of IH Scout diesel owners. Have you tried over at binderbulletin.org ?

If you are willing to have some machining done, you could have a remote filter adapter made, with fittings for hoses to move your oil filter to a different location. Lots more money than having the part you lost though.

I'm sure it can be found.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
zen

Post by zen »

if its a paper element type then go to forum mentioned above and look in their "guide" they list loads...

if its a spin on type then leave a message here and will see whats on mine..i know i am in uk,but you can cross reference..
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
Terry Kortum

Thanks for such a quick response

Post by Terry Kortum »

Asavage and Zen, thanks to both of you for such a quick response.
My engine looks almost identical to the second image (yellow painted engine) with marine mods for the air intake manifold.

my engine has a verticle oil cannister, using a paper filter. I will contact the website you suggested and keep you posted on my luck.

Unlike Cruzhors, I have very good access to most of the engine in my boat so converting to a spin on is an option if all else fails. Next chance I have I will post some pics of the boat and the engine.
Southern California
SD22 CN4-33 Marine Diesel
1974 Challenger 35 Sloop
Terry Kortum

CN4-33 Oil fliter Guide

Post by Terry Kortum »

Just wanted to update. I contacted Binderbulletin and they were able to help. Jesco had the filter assembly in stock and in the interest of getting up and running I bought it. A little pricey for a stupid mistake but I rarely make cheap ones.

Thanks again to both of you for your help and best wishes for your holidays.
Terry
Southern California
SD22 CN4-33 Marine Diesel
1974 Challenger 35 Sloop
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you have a decent camera, would you mind taking some pics of the guts of the filter assy pieces when you get them, and send them to me?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yes, I'm a little behind . . .

Terry sent me this almost a year ago:
Terry Kortum wrote:Attached are pics of the oil filter assembly and the CN4-33 (SD22)
engine. I used the oil filter sleeve and shaft springs and washers
from the new assembly in the old oil filter assembly on the
engine..........an expensive fix but better than the alternatives.
The assembly was purchased from Jesco
CN part # 15200-90105

Thanks again to all on your site for their help.

Terry
Image Image Image Image Image Image