SD33 compared to LD28

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

ronin

SD33 compared to LD28

Post by ronin »

Sorry for the basic question, but could someone list some of the major differences between the 2? Does someone know the difference in overall length between the 2? Also, are the mounting points very different?

Thanks,

Eric
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

They don't share a single part.

SD33 is 16% larger displacement, pushrod valve actuation, Inline IP. IP is gear-driven. Was available with a factory-installed turbo. The SD series dates back to about 1964. It was designed for agricultural and industrial use, and later adapted for marine and vehicular use.

LD28 is smaller displacement, OHC, distributor IP. IP is belt-driven. Was never offered with a factory turbo (though the Four LD20 was, and the turbo bits from the 280 and 300 Z turbo cars are almost a bolt-on, with compromises). The LD series dates back to about 1980 and is a newer design. The block critical dimensions are based on the then ten-year-old L240/260/280Z Six, though the block is significantly different in deck height and internal casting thickness. It was designed for vehicular use and later adapted for marine and industrial use. The LD28 is a very smooth engine in operation. The ones I've seen and driven have all had significant black smoke however.

I don't know about the length, weight, and mounting point differences. I can measure the length of an LD28 if you wish, I have one "loose" in storage.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
ronin

Thanks for the quick responce

Post by ronin »

That pretty much answered what I needed. Thanks!