Ford powered by SD33

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dmh13433

Ford powered by SD33

Post by dmh13433 »

Thought I would share this with you folks!

Just found this forum a couple weeks ago and I have been doing lots of reading. My Dad bought this truck when I was younger, we probably put over 200,000 miles on it before it was parked about 20 years ago. The master cylinder for the brakes was sticking, and nobody ever fixed it. From what I have been reading, it is a marine model. I don't know if it came with the turbo, or if it was added. The injector pump doesn't look to have the boost comp. on it, but it was working fine for years.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Thanks for posting these pics, it's always interesting to see to what uses the Nissan diesels have been put.

I agree that this looks like a turbo manifold setup glued to a non-turbo IP, or alternatively a non-turbo IP may have been transplanted to a turbo-application engine.

The (excellent) picture of the valve cover spec label is the clue: 3200 RPM HP rating is low for automotive trim, and the CN6-33 is the Chrysler model number for the marine application version.

The automotive-trim turbo version of this engine is rated closer to 102 HP, but that's with the IP that mates to it. You are safer running it as it is now, as the turbo version has several upgrades that are pretty essential for long-term reliability under boost.

Do you have "plans" for this setup?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dmh13433

Post by dmh13433 »

""Do you have "plans" for this setup?""

I'm not sure what you mean? The engine was retrofitted by a friend many years ago, I think they just designed as they built it.

I was interested in doing another conversion with this engine, but it never had very much power. Looking at the service manual, it is also indirect injection, and I dont' think I will be able to get much more power out of it. I will probably go with the Cummins 4bt.......in my opinion it is a better engine for performance, and buying aftermarket parts.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

dmh13433 wrote:I was interested in doing another conversion with this engine, but it never had very much power.
I'm not surprised -- figure the HP rating, then add maybe 10% for the turbo but without boost compensation, then harness it to about 80% more weight than it would have moved in automotive trim -- I'm not at all surprised that the performance was not all that great ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.