sd22 with sd33T pistons and conn. rods??

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

fnnissan

sd22 with sd33T pistons and conn. rods??

Post by fnnissan »

Would it be a good idea to put the sd33t pistons and maybe the connecting rods in an sd22 if i added a turbo? I figure that would probly be the best/most reliable setup. Are all internals interchangable?

Are there any slightly bigger valves i could get machined to fit from say the sd25 or sd33? Im also plannin on a re-ground cam.

ANY INPUT? :?
87 nissan HB, z24i, d44 SAS, d44 rear, 5.38s, posi rear, front about to be locked...
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't know much about the SD33(T), but I didn't think that the rods were different, nor the valves. Perhaps someone with more SD3x knowledge will pipe up. I suspect that the turbo pistons may yield lower compression and might contribute to smoke, but that's only a guess.

Meanwhile, if you don't know about them already, there is a very good fund of SD33(T) knowledge over at binderbulletin's diesel forum.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
zen

Post by zen »

yep use the 3 ring sd33t pistons...if aftermarket MAKE sure they have the steel top ring carrier..

re compression..they are the same..(according to nissan workshop manuals)

re con rods .they are the same..

also your engine needs to have piston squirters..

re the cam..good idea..something i need to do to my sd33t, but cant find anyone over here up on diesel cams.,.

valves are the same, dont know about the sd22, but the sd33 is weak on the head, ie. it can crack very easy, and bigger valves are thus a no no, due to the lack of metal there..
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
fnnissan

Post by fnnissan »

i read the stock sd22 already has the piston squirters
87 nissan HB, z24i, d44 SAS, d44 rear, 5.38s, posi rear, front about to be locked...