SD33 Rebuild. Is it worth it? Advice for a novice?

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dogwhistle

SD33 Rebuild. Is it worth it? Advice for a novice?

Post by dogwhistle »

Okay, so I have been driving around my 1980 Scout International for a year now. I love the truck and have vowed to own it forever. It has the SD33T except the previous owner told me that the turbo was most likely not working.

After a year of tinkering with the SD33T, I decided I wanted to go deeper, so I was looking for a SD33T for sale (theory is - so that I could do an entire rebuild, then swap out the one in the Scout for the one I just rebuilt).

It worked out a little bit differently. I just bought a SD33 (without the Turbo of course) because I was able to pick one up 150 miles away for $400.

So, question #1 - Is it flawed logic to think that I can learn the inner workings of a SD33T by working on a SD33?

Question #2 - Would I be able to put an after market Turbo on the SD33? And is that a easy, moderate or advanced project?

Question #3 - I have seen several rebuild kits online, mostly offered in New Zealand and Australia that include Pistons, Rings, Seals, Bearings, etc. The price is somewhere around $900 - $1200. Is this the way to go (have the stuff shipped from over there?) or is there a US resource that would have those parts (I'd like to purchase in the next 6 months, not wait around until someone offers something on Craigslist or Ebay)?

Question #4 - How similar is the SD33 to the SD33T, I know that the T came later, and the SD33 was offered for several years prior, is there a big difference between the earlier SD33 and the SD33T other then the Turbo Charger?

Question #5 - Here is the label on the engine. Can anyone tell me what year this engine is, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Model: CN6-33 ND Model: SD331D
Serial No: 020550
Rated Output 89 MP at 3800 RPM (i think that's what it says)

Thanks for you thoughts/feedback. I love the forum and please remember i am a novice, so if you would be so kind to reply, please keep your answers relatively basic, I am still learning as I go. Cheers.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: SD33 Rebuild. Is it worth it? Advice for a novice?

Post by asavage »

dogwhistle wrote:So, question #1 - Is it flawed logic to think that I can learn the inner workings of a SD33T by working on a SD33?
They are quite similar to each other.
Question #2 - Would I be able to put an after market Turbo on the SD33? And is that a easy, moderate or advanced project?
Yes, but . . .
(see below)
Question #3 - I have seen several rebuild kits online, mostly offered in New Zealand and Australia that include Pistons, Rings, Seals, Bearings, etc. The price is somewhere around $900 - $1200. Is this the way to go (have the stuff shipped from over there?)

See this thread for some basic info, this thread for my recent experience importing piston/liner sets.

Question #4 - How similar is the SD33 to the SD33T, I know that the T came later, and the SD33 was offered for several years prior, is there a big difference between the earlier SD33 and the SD33T other then the Turbo Charger?

See this article for the baseline, this post for a scanned article detailing the differences between the 1979 NA SD33 and the 1980 SD33T. Nissan didn't just bolt on a turbo. You can just bolt on a turbo, but the SD33 was sometimes a fairly fragile engine and the internal strengthening Nissan did is a good idea to retain.

Question #5 - Here is the label on the engine. Can anyone tell me what year this engine is, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Model: CN6-33 ND Model: SD331D
Serial No: 020550
Rated Output 89 MP at 3800 RPM (i think that's what it says)
Unfortunately, that appears to be a marine engine. Someone more knowledgeable about the SD33s will have to chime in here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
StormyKnight

CN6-33 SD331D Nissan diesel

Post by StormyKnight »

If you are interested, I have a mid-70's Scout II with a Chrysler Nissan Turbo diesel engine #CN6-33 Model no. SD331D. The Scout was rolled but, the engine and tranny seem to be intact. I have a '61 Scout 80 that I had thoughts of putting this engine into, but time and money have changed my mind. Thought about putting it on EBay or Craigslist.
wcurleyq

Re: CN6-33 SD331D Nissan diesel

Post by wcurleyq »

StormyKnight wrote:If you are interested, I have a mid-70's Scout II with a Chrysler Nissan Turbo diesel engine #CN6-33 Model no. SD331D. The Scout was rolled but, the engine and tranny seem to be intact. I have a '61 Scout 80 that I had thoughts of putting this engine into, but time and money have changed my mind. Thought about putting it on EBay or Craigslist.
You have a PM
(EST)MahviaDeTyrk

Re: SD33 Rebuild. Is it worth it? Advice for a novice?

Post by (EST)MahviaDeTyrk »

dogwhistle wrote:So, question #1 - Is it flawed logic to think that I can learn the inner workings of a SD33T by working on a SD33?
There are just few little differences and later SD33's are without them (100% same as SD33T)
dogwhistle wrote: Question #2 - Would I be able to put an after market Turbo on the SD33? And is that a easy, moderate or advanced project?
It's easy - but...
Old SD33's don't have piston coolers - not sure how durable it is
Later SD33's are all ready with piston coolers and 3 ring steel forced pistons - I have seen SD33 home made kit with VNT turbo from MB and intercooler (14 PSI boost from 1000 to 4000 RPM - awesome acceleration and power :P )
Limey

Post by Limey »

Do you still have the marine Nissan SD33 ? If you do, would you want to sell it. [/gotopost]