SD33 Not Starting

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

jalmassi

SD33 Not Starting

Post by jalmassi »

Gents,
Engine running great but one morning will not fire. Lots of diesel and battery. Inspected filter and all banjo connections, lift pump working. Managed to get her to fire while bleeding the injection pump then injectors...refief. Next morning no go, even whilst repeating the process. Put a coke bottle of fuel in the engine bay with a hand pump but could not get her to fire, diesel at injection pump bleed screw and at injectors....strange.
Any help or ideas much appreciated as someone has probably been here before..!!!
Regards
Fergus
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Glow plugs working ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
jalmassi

Post by jalmassi »

Glow plugs OK. After talking to a diesel mech. it sounds like the control rack is getting stuck in the injection pump. Got to find out now home to shimmy it free, actually got to find it full stop..!!! Thanks for the help, any idea how to check the control rack now..!!
jalmassi

Post by jalmassi »

Glow plugs OK. After talking to a diesel mech. it sounds like the control rack is getting stuck in the injection pump. Got to find out now home to shimmy it free, actually got to find it full stop..!!! Thanks for the help, any idea how to check the control rack now..!!
Dimitri71

Post by Dimitri71 »

My SD33 has been a hard starter since I bought the boat a few months ago. Now when it starts it has very low power when put in gear, but revs fine with no load. It ran great a couple months ago when I delivered it to the Central California port, so I'm thinking the problem is in the fuel delivery. I ran it with inadequate filtration for a couple hours, and seems to have brought on the problem. Since the problem developed, I've rebuilt the injectors, installed new glow plugs, but still no power. I've run new fuel lines and added a new filter system from the tank to the pump, and added an electric pump in line to assist the mechanical pump. Question: Is there any way to clean the injection pump without disassembly? "