Industrial SD33 into marine application?

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I can't help you with the differences in the part Nos.

From what I see, there is only the one oil pressure sensing device, and it's obviously a sending unit for a gauge system. If that's true (only this one sensor) and your gauge is showing good pressure but some warning device is babbling on about low pressure, you likely have some electronics failure up at the gauge end.

If it was me, I'd plug in a decent quality mechanical gauge at that sender port location, just temporarily for testing, to verify the electric gauge's reading. After that's verified, you can proceed to repair or lobotomize the low pressure warning system.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
twb

Re: Plenzen

Post by twb »

Reading the post, I believe you might have installed the SD-33 in my boat. I have a manual with Simpson Power Products is listed as a source. I was made back in the 20's by Bidwell and re-powered in the 70's or later. The boat was named Willmar II then. We have it down in Brinnon, WA and was re-named by a former owner as Lucky Penney. The engine has both the yellow and blue. It looks like the Blue was painted over the Yellow. I have some old parts that were replaced and some are yellow and some are blue.

I came to the forum based on a recommendation from a diesel mechanic. The exhaust has a temperature sensor and I was thinking it would be nice to add a gauge. I was wondering what would be a normal exhaust temp and what temperature would raise alarms to slow down the engine?

Tom
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Industrial SD33 into marine application?

Post by asavage »

Tom, Paul stops by every couple of days, and I'm sure he'll chime in soon.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
plenzen

Re: Industrial SD33 into marine application?

Post by plenzen »

Good afternoon Tom.

The engines all came yellow. We started painting them blue around 1975 or 76. Until that time we had rattle cans of yellow paint supplied by Nissan. The blue was a Simpson Power (later Simpower) specific color.
As to whether or not I installed that engine I have no specific recollection of that (42 yrs ago) and I left Simpson in Nov of 1977, however ,mostly we supplied all the Nissan 633s (and the 433s) to the different marinas and shipyards in the BC area. We were western Canada distributors of Chrysler and Chrysler Nissan marine (and a couple other lines ). We would un-crate them and basically turn the from truck engines into marine engines.
As for the EGT.
As your boat was built in the 20s its no doubt a wooden hull. Probably pretty heavy. 8knts ?? Maybe ??
Any black smoke at WOT ?
Is the engine able to spin up to max RPM under way?

I would think 800 to 1000 degrees would be safe. If it won't spool up all the way or if she's smoking lots and your over 1000 - 1100 I would maybe take a little bit if wheel out of it. If your at 8-900 and able to spool it up then I would just run it. Best thing to do is just stay out of the smoke.
More smoke = more heat.

Great to hear one of these old guys is still around.

Does it have the San Juan cooling system and the BW 2:1 gear on it maybe a Jabsco raw water pump still ?
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN