Glow Plug Relay/Solenoid

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dyepro

Glow Plug Relay/Solenoid

Post by dyepro »

Hi,
Working on a boat with dual marine Sd33's
There were a pair of Glow plug solenoids mounted low that got wet in bilge water. I am replacing and re wiring these and having a bit of a time figuring out what solenoids I need to buy. No markings on the ones in front of me.
I bought a few heavy duty 4 post solenoids capable of 60A continuous but they have an isolated ground. not sure that's what I need. I just want the new ones to go in the way the old ones came out so what do i need? Just simple ford style glow solenoids? I have the simpower parts diagram but they don't show the control wire circuit clearly.

Ideas?
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

You need to know if your glow-plug control circuit feeds power TO the solenoid coil to make it actuate (One side of the solenoid would be normally grounded) OR GROUNDS a wire FROM the solenoid coil to actuate it (One side of the solenoid circuit would be normally live or becomes live when main power is turned on). You can go with a solenoid that is externally grounded and make it do either of the above functions. Make sure the solenoid you choose doesn't have a 'coil resistor by-pass' terminal; that isn't the same as an externally grounded solenoid though it may look the same.

HTH,

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dyepro

Post by dyepro »

On closer inspection the old solenoids control posts are marked with a S and a I which makes it a ford style starter solenoid. Only the S terminal was connected and nothing on the I so the solenoids I bought should work well. I only have to make two pig tails to ground them. hopefully!