DCP Module relay

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

hjrgrant

DCP Module relay

Post by hjrgrant »

Common problem with the DCP Module relay contacts failing. I have owned an MQ Patrol from new in 1983 and started having problems with the relay contacts sticking and preventing engine shutdown. After many cleans the contacts finally had no metal left and the relay required replacement. Prices in aussie for a new DCP MOdule were prohibitive and the relay itself was not available so I searched for an alternative and found a suggestion in this forum that worked so here is what I did:

I bought a horn relay from Jaycar Electronics part number SY4047 which is a single pole double throw (SPDP) 24VDC 30A sealed relay with utilux terminals.

I then removed the old relay from the DCP Module, sucking the solder out of the PCB.

A five wire loom then was made up that connected from the PCB to the relay connectors through a hole cut in the top of the DCP Module.

The relay was then mounted on top of the DCP Module using some thick double sided tape. The hole was sealed with silicone glue.

All done! Cost? AU$6.50 for the relay and some wire and terminals from the workshop.

Why didn't I do that twenty years ago. If the relay fails just plug another one in!
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Good post.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

In 2008, my '83 Sentra's GP controller wouldn't do afterglow due to a failed relay, and I did pretty much the same thing.

(click image to go to the thread, with more pics)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.