SD33Turbo question: IP pump modification

Vehicles powered by Nissan six-cylinder SD diesel engines.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:this is a 1985 Nissan Patrol SD33T.
Maybe not. The Seller states that he bought it for a 1985 MQ.
True enough.
asavage wrote:
I see it has an aneroid valve positioned horizontally off the rear of the governor housing.
Looks like a accel prop to me.
The aneroid valve is at the VERY rear of the governor housing on the horizontal and has a metal line with banjo fitting that leads around rear of engine to intake manifold. There -is- what appears to be an RPM prop motor on the outboard side of the pump further forward, where the governor housing meets the IP pump body.
asavage wrote:
The engine appears to have a spin-on coolant filter adaptor (no filter present). AU accessory?
Looks like the Secondary fuel filter mounting base to me.
Indeed. With a top view, there are three hose fitting points.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
dieselscout80

Post by dieselscout80 »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:this is a 1985 Nissan Patrol SD33T.
Maybe not. The Seller states that he bought it for a 1985 MQ.
I see it has an aneroid valve positioned horizontally off the rear of the governor housing.
Looks like a accel prop to me.
The engine appears to have a spin-on coolant filter adaptor (no filter present). AU accessory?
Looks like the Secondary fuel filter mounting base to me.
It looks like a MZ pump with an Aneroid valve.

That is the same fuel filter base that is on my AF CJ-10a Tug SD33 and that I have seen on all other Tug SD33.

I'd love to get more info on how the MZ was setup from the factory with a turbo.

Carey
Diesel Scout
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

this engine would be for a 1985 australian model.
spin on fuel filter in the rear is the secondary filter.

idle up for a/c is on the side of the pump.
this is an aneriod is on the rear.I think some are diapham type units.
some of these style of pumps fitted to isuzu/mitubishi trucks dont have a boost signal line fitted.

these are the same layout as the denso unit used on toyota landcruiser of the same age.these compete for the same customer base and tend to copy service needs.toyota outsell nissan with cab chasis models.

I believe there is a version with an engine stop cable,in new south wales Australian design rules require that the engine stops with the ignition key on passenger vehicles.so a CAB chasis model would not require the electric shutoff.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
dieselscout80

Post by dieselscout80 »

Eldon found some info on this SD33T's pump and no it's not a MZ.

Brief description of Bosch Inline RLD governor
Diesel Scout
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

no egr on australian sold nissan diesel until early 1990's.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Dave: With the advent of EGR on AU models, generally speaking what model injection pumps were installed?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Eldon

Boost Compensator

Post by Eldon »

philip wrote:
dieselscout80 wrote:I don't think you need the boost compensator to run the turbo (the boost compensator keeps the engine from smoking in low boost conditions and then when boost is built up it adds fuel for more power) Snip

Carey
Carey: Looks like "you don't need a boost compensator" is in conflict with "boost compensator keeps engine from smoking in low boost conditions".

So to take best advantage, boost compensation is necessary to control exhaust smoke, power output, and of course exhaust temperatures.
The function of the boost compensator is to limit the max fuel untill the turbo has sufficeint pressure to supply enough air to burn the additional fuel. It isn't intended to regulate the max power, but to reduce the smoke on acceleration. As soon as the boost is sufficient to burn all the fuel the maximum fuel setting is what controls the maximum power output.

The boost compensator has lots of names like: Smoke limiter, Puff limiter, Aneroid, Air Fuel Control, etc. I found a pic of the Diesel KiKi pump with the RLD governor:

Eldon
"Do or do not. there is no try" -Yoda
philip
Deceased

Re: Boost Compensator

Post by philip »

Thank you, Eldon. "We" have been "best guessing" about several aspects of this pump since one or two Bulletin members made opening up a new forum for SD sixes necessary. Prior to, the forum has focused on Nissan Maximas and 720 pickups with their respective diesel engines only.

Is there a possibility that you might have an exploded view of this particular governor assembly?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Eldon

Post by Eldon »

philip wrote:Thank you, Eldon. "We" have been "best guessing" about several aspects of this pump since one or two Bulletin members made opening up a new forum for SD sixes necessary. Prior to, the forum has focused on Nissan Maximas and 720 pickups with their respective diesel engines only.

Is there a possibility that you might have an exploded view of this particular governor assembly?
Well this is not the best quality, but a feeble attempt here. this is a digital pic of the image on the microfiche reader screen. I can't get the best focus and with the blue background it is kinda hard to work with.

Eldon
"Do or do not. there is no try" -Yoda
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Eldon: It's an interesting bit of monkey motion involved in getting the boost compensator linear motion transferred over to the fuel rack. I'm guessing the compensator diaphragm (spring loaded in the "no boost" position) only takes a few pounds to overcome completely. Hmm?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

zen wrote:ok...
getting off subject but...

-snip-
Anyway, looks like modding pump is a non starter. So, anyone got an SD33T pump they wish to sell??? (not that the mz pump don't work, its just I wonder if i can lower EGT for same amount of power using proper pump?)

Hope pics are of interest..
Zen ... Whatever happened with your intention of refitting a (lack of better description) non-pneumatic governor injection pump?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

zen

Post by zen »

done..infact has been for months now..its the one Eldon posted a pic of..exactly that one except no ac idle up servo (unfortunatly :cry: )..came off german sd33t nissan patrol..

massive improvement in drivabilty..much smoother..egt lower..though in state of flux at present..working on trying to control ip settings on the move..(like i could with the old sd33 n/a ip)

another 5k miles on engine now..going lovely..

propane is nice :D ..nitros still to fit..local govt not nice though..trying to ban all diesels and big cars from coming into town(london) by increasing toll to $50 per day!!! :shock: ..
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

zen wrote:-snip- Propane is nice :D ..nitros still to fit..local govt not nice though..trying to ban all diesels and big cars from coming into town(london) by increasing toll to $50 per day!!! :shock: ..
I "we" thought that diesels were driving 70% or more new passenger vehicles. So what's the ta-doo about "ban all diesels..."?
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

And, even further off-topic, I thought that London was charging pretty much all vehicular traffic into downtown, at least during the work week.

Is it really just diesels that are being heavily fined?
zen

Post by zen »

yep...things are a changing..now there is a "lez" london enviromental zone...at the moment applies to 12tons or above..so half the trucks at work are now scrapped cos otherwise they would be charged £200 per day to be in london...

its all down to co2 emmisions..anything i think euro 4 or 5 (need to check on that) above is ok but otherwise your zapped..

from oct 2008 DIESEL's over 3litre will be hit..next tightening on 2010.. blah blah blah..there are exceptions but basically its aimed at generating cash but using co2 emmisions as the excuse..gas(petrol) powered cars over 3l to be hit to, but i have had to reregister my land rover 110 as an estate car to be able to keep it from 2010.and my sd33 range rover have sent off today for ammendments in log book to state lpg and svo....its getting silly, the rules seem to change every month...

porshe are taking london govt to court about this!! :D (not about my car but about the general system :wink: )

then you have the x head of shell being employe by govt to advise us/govt to ban all new cars that dont give 40mpg or more..strange he didn't recommend that while working for shell!!!
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)