Big Marine Diesels

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

fud2468

Big Marine Diesels

Post by fud2468 »

I know off-topic is not supposed to be for diesel topics, but maybe I can get some direction to the proper site for information.
I recently went on a cruise and was interested in the diesel engines used on the ship, made by Sulzer in Europe. Ship's crew was no help and neither is the Sulzer site.
I tried another site and got one reply saying that some cargo ships use much larger engines that develop as much as 100,000 hp and a MILLION ft.-lb. of torque! They turn at 100 rpm or so.
Interesting also is the use of bunker oil on the cruise ship when out to sea, heated to 125 degrees C.
I noticed the exhaust at cruising speed seemed to be an off-white color--sulfer content maybe?
Ray Mac
TooManyIdeas

Post by TooManyIdeas »

I saw info on DIESELPOWERMAG.COM about that 100,000 hp diesel. Did you see the pic of the overhaul they were doing? The piston RING was bigger than the mechanic
82 Datsun 720 King Cab Diesel - FOR SALE !!!!
85 Chevy Monte Carlo CL
90 Toyota Pickup -SOLD
05 Kia Spectra 5
02 Dodge Dakota Quadcab
-OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!!!
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Thanks, I will check out that site.
I did see a picture of one that was about 3 stories high, with stairs going to the upper levels. A man standing on one of the catwalks looked like an ant beside the engine.
Ray Mac.
Highway Man

Re: Big Marine Diesels

Post by Highway Man »

In my past, I have walk inside a Diesel Crankcase on a Ship of which I was a crew Member, after we had withdrawn Her Pistons and removed Her three CylinderHeads, Big, Grotty, 72 hours and she was running again,

Another but different Ship I stood looking for a Cylinder crack in a Three Cylinder Steam Engine, again, Big, Grotty, and my Mother went Ap*s&it at having to wash my Overalls before I returned for my Watch onboard!

Regards,

Highway man!
plenzen

Re: Big Marine Diesels

Post by plenzen »

My dad was engineer on some of those big boys during the war.

He has many stories of engine repairs/fixes while at sea and in convoy.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN