MOV video editing software

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

MOV video editing software

Post by asavage »

My current camera outputs MOV files (though the manual says it outputs MPEG, it doesn't). At high resolution, only 20 seconds at a time (yuck). So I have clips that I need to stitch together.

Therefore, I have a need to edit MOV files -- I think.

I used RAD Video Tools (donateware) to concatenate three MOVs and convert them to AVI, which while bloating (100MiB of MOV data) -> (1.3GiB AVI data), at least let me import them into (bleck) Windoze Move Maker, which let me add a title and save it to WMV @ 16MiB, a more reasonable size.

However, I couldn't discover how to do any kind of real editing of the AVI in WMM, like muting sections of audio.

Without devoting yet another ten hours, is there a recommended app or apps to allow me to edit MOVs (including concatenation) and convert to MPEG, or convert to AVI/MPEG and do editing there?

Do I want QT Pro? It's cheap enough, but can it do what I want?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: MOV video editing software

Post by philip »

asavage wrote: Do I want QT Pro? It's cheap enough, but can it do what I want?
I'm in the same quagmire. Apple Inc QuickTime Pro seems to have a license lock when .MOV files are involved. Grrr. But like you say, less than $40 seems to be the 'fix.' If I buy it soon, I'll let you know what I find.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I was thinking I'd go ahead and buy the QT Pro at $30 from Apple's site, but if you jump first, please review its capability to edit and glue together MOV files.

I'm not in a position to replace my digital camera right now, so to quote Annie Proulx, "If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it."
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Well .... (sigh sigh :?). I walked through the software libraries in MicroCenter and Fry's .... aka The Computer Zoo Stores. Read through 7 different softwares.

VideoShow Expressions. This software will convert from various photos, videos, music to ... .MOV (etc). But I'm not sure if it will convert from an MOV to something more compressed, ie .WMV or .AVI. I'll let you determine if it will. (Excedrin Migraine) The retail price has been $29.

I did not see QuickTime Pro at either stores.

Fry's is the sign of the times.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Cheathu

Re: MOV video editing software

Post by Cheathu »

philip wrote:
asavage wrote: Do I want QT Pro? It's cheap enough, but can it do what I want?

I'm in the same quagmire. Apple Inc QuickTime Pro seems to have a license lock when .MOV files are involved. Grrr. But
car navigation system like you say, less than $40 seems to be the 'fix.' If I buy it soon, I'll let you know what I find.
Do you know a software which develops high quality video with nice sound?