Chirping Crickets

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

plenzen

Chirping Crickets

Post by plenzen »

Been pretty quite in here for the past while.

Just sayin.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ziper1221

Re: Chirping Crickets

Post by ziper1221 »

Yeah, it is. I'm still working on my 720 with the smoke issue, I disassembled, honed one cylinder, and reassembled, but I put one connecting rod cap in the wrong way. The motor turned over fine by hand but the first time I cranked it with the starter it locked right up. The cap and crank were both galled. I really don't want to put any more work into this motor, seeing as how many problems it has given me so far, so I'm contemplating if I want to do an engine swap or junk/part out the truck. The body is rather rusty. I'm really kicking myself.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

That's kinda crappy news. How bad is it "galled" ? Any way you can get it polished out ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

A bunch of metal got smoosh around here: https://i.imgur.com/3ubXw2e.jpg

I have another crank that just has a bit of surface rust and would be easy enough to fix up, but... I never conclusively fixed the smoking issue, and at the rate of carbon buildup I doubt it would've made it more than 10k miles. car-part.com has a bunch of Z22/24s around but the closest diesel is 1000 miles away and not cheap.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Not sure where you are but perhaps check some marinas. They may have an old CN4-33 lying around. It's the same thing.

Just a thought
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I basically lost my computer for a while, it updated in September and that Microsoft spyware called Cortana on my Windows10 system and that screwed up my computer ability to process photos, it updated 2 more times and each time after removing the Cortana I could relearn how to do photos, well the last time it updated they made it impossible to remove Cortana, when I realized I could not remove it I hit the computer so hard it had to run a diagnostic to start up again, I shut it down and didn't start it back up for 9 months, I used my old computer with Windows8 till the computer guy called me about cleaning out his gutters, so I talked to him and then took the computer to him when I did his gutters and he put Windows7 on this computer, it's a way better system and everytime it updates I do not have to relearn how to do photos.
I didn't use my old computer for much other than to see my emails as if I tried doing photos the CPU would overheat and Windows would get corrupted, so mostly it was in sleep mode, I got so used to just ignoring the computer I just forgot about this site when the good computer was working again, I was doing other stuff for several months that was not diesel related.
I just updated my 1980 Datsun 720 thread in the user rigs section.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.