Diesel Engine problem

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Rayrodo

Diesel Engine problem

Post by Rayrodo »

I wonder if someone could offer some advice, i have a nissan Xtrail 2.2d that is getting oil in the water coolant however there is not water in the oil. I have checked oil cooler and this is fine and i have checked compression of cylinders and they seem fine. is there any other thing that i could check to trace problem. the engine runs great but it keep fill the water up with oil and then it can't flow.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

How did you test the oil cooler? Did you remove it and have it pressure tested? That is my bet where the issue is.
When running with oil pressure it's enough to overcome the pressure in the cooling system and leak through a small crack into the coolant. When shut off the crack ( or whatever ) closes itself to the coolant. Both sides of the cooler should be pressure tested to see.
But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have been wrong before, and you may have done this already.
I really cant think of another location where the problem will only be "one way" and not the other. ( coolant into the oil ). I guess an oil passage from the block to cyl head around a water jacket but I would expect a 2 way exchange on that.

Problem with removing the oil cooler is finding the gaskets etc to re-install it, they can be made from gasket material if non available from Nissan or Fel Pro or whoever I guess.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Rayrodo

Post by Rayrodo »

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply, yes i did have it professionally pressure tested as that was my first thought. It was test undered hot and cold circumstances and passed. But as mentioned the VERY puzzling part is why is there Oil in the coolant but no coolant in the Oil. If i find the problem i will post it on this thread so that everyone can see. maybe it will help someone else in the future.
overrated

Post by overrated »

Kind of logic that the oil is in the coolant and no oil in the coolant.

If we think of how much oilpressure it is vs. pressure on the coolant system.

Can be a crack in the cylinderhead, or something like that.
Also a bad turbo if it is watercooled as well.
manya

Post by manya »

Guys No experience with diesels, but does your vehicle have an OBD diagnostic socket ?
I think they started to be fitted around 2000 for petrol and 2003 for diesels.
Nimbus

Oil in the coolant system

Post by Nimbus »

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Compression is fine and there is no sign of water in the oil. My oil cooling device is fine, no leaks detected under pressurized conditions. However, a person I know mentioned having heard of this case before and said the explanation resides in the turbo cooling system.

I am in the process of checking on this tip next week. Will make sure to comment when done.