1998 Nissan Patrol RD28T blowing turbo's every 10k or so

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

gardengnome

1998 Nissan Patrol RD28T blowing turbo's every 10k or so

Post by gardengnome »

So this motor gets a rebuild at 125000km. New head,crank,injector pump, turbo.This was a pro rebuild. The car now has 162000km on it and i've just blown the 4th turbo. Always the front seals first followed by oil injestion and finally BANG if it gets that far. The GU has a crazy setup with the feeds from the bottom but this crap only started since the rebuild. Always replaced with the designed part, believe it's a T25 3bolt flange specific to the GU.
It has a Motsons fuel chip installed and the workshop put a boost controller in set to 15psi. My oil pressure is 37 psi@2500rpm. I dont have a fuel pick up pump installed as has been suggested. Other than 23/4 exhaust and turbo timer it's standard.
So WTF is happening. I got no hair left to pull out[/quote]
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I know nothing about the RD series, but generically . . . a restriction on the turbo oil return line would fit your description of the turbo seal failure.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

oil breater in the rocker cover??blow by valve.

seal failure was common with the first RD28T.non electronic type without intercooler.and not every 10K.I think they are KKK not garrets.
get some good advice from early users.

too much back pressure--oil and exhaust.

restricted intake.GU has intercooler?rubber hoses.

cavitation in the oil supply-II had a transit van that had a blown headgasket into the turbo oil feed pipe gallery.the frothed up oil would bypass the seals and fill the exhaust.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.