nissan TD42 turbo'ing with inline fuel pump

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

zjuul

nissan TD42 turbo'ing with inline fuel pump

Post by zjuul »

Hello guys,

I’m new here so let me introduce myself a bit first, I’m a 20 years old student car technologies and also a huge Nissan Patrol/Safari freak. I’ve bought my first patrol when I was 16 years old and fully restored it as it was a bit rusty… That patrol has the 2.8 liter turbo diesel engine (rd28t), good engine but a bit weak at the head (replaced the headgasket this year). As I need to do a thesis project for school next year I wanted to do something with a patrol engine, the 4.2 diesel was never sold here in Belgium so it is a bit like the Holy Grail here. I went to the UK and bought me my first Nissan safari 4.2 diesel and brought it to Belgium. The plan is to do a dual vnt turbo setup on the engine and let it perform better than standard. The engine is equipped with the inline fuel pump that has a pneumatic governor… not the best thing to turbo this engine… It also has no boost compensator so I don’t like this pump for my setup.
Now my question: I was thinking if it wouldn’t be possible to combine this td42 pump with the RLD governor from an SD33T engine and use the boost compensator also? Would it be possible to build a pump out of these 2 with the plungers of the 4.2 and the governor and compensator out of the sd33t pump?
I guess that these are 2 comparable pumps and use the same sort of technology so they are combinable? The td42 pump is a zexel and the sd33t is a kiki pump…

Thanks a lot guys and I hope someone can give me some answers!!
Grtz Zjuul

zjuul

Re: nissan TD42 turbo'ing with inline fuel pump

Post by zjuul »

nobody that can help me?
andy-p163

Post by andy-p163 »

Hi there

I like your patrol but looks familier. Did you get it of 4x4xfaz.

I'm in the same boat as you so hopefully I can help. I have a 1992 y60 swb with turbo intercooler and inline pump. I have managed to tweek the inline pump by adding a bleed valve to one of the governor lines. I'll take some pictures and post them here so you can see but it does make the throttle a bit all or nothing. I do think the pump can be adjusted for more rack travel. I can take pictures of how to do this when i've figured out from the manuals how to do it

There are 2 ways you can go with the pump. First is make a hybrid pump using sd33t governor and td42 delivery valves. They are both the bosch pe a type pump and cummins 4bt and 6bt use this type of pump all be it with a mechanical governor with boost sensing.

The second is to find a dead td42 with a rotary pump to swap over to the rotary bosch ve pump.

Hope this helps

Andy

I'm looking at the sd33t/ td42 hydbrid pump for mine as finding a dead td42 is near on impossible.
zjuul

Post by zjuul »

Thanks for the respond Andy,

Yes I have it by 4x4xfaz, 1993 TD42 with inline pump. I also will try to build a hybrid pump with the sd33t governor and boost compensator, I have found the right pump just need to get it one of these days. Biggest problem with the rotary pump is that the engine needs also another cover to fit the pump because the inline mounting is different than the VE mounting. I was thinking to use a pump out of an rd28t engine (2.8 engine) because I have one of these pumps here, They can be rebuild with a 12 of 13 mm plunger so it would be work but the mounting is different. I will start by building the hybrid pump. I keep you updated here.

Grtz Zjuul
andy-p163

Post by andy-p163 »

Hi

The inline pump will run a turbo but will get no more than 10psi boost. I'm going to stick with the inline pump as they are far more robust than the rotary. I'll put some pictures of my truck up so you can see whats been done tomine. The early td42 are the stronger engines and can happily run upto 20psi of boost. Post 95 motors have lighter pistons and rods and can be turbo'd but safe boost is aroind 10 psi.

I was lucky when i bought my patrol as it as already turbod. It had a garrett t04b which wad ok but spooled up at about 1800rpm. I've swapped it for td05-16g and it goes a lot better. The garrett was to big to honest. It also has a large front mount intercooler to keep egt's down. Apart from that the engine is standard internally.

Andy
zjuul

Post by zjuul »

Hi,
I know the engines build for 1995 has the oil squirters to cool down the pistons. Normally they call it the silvertop engine. But I have read that a black rockercover can be a silvertop as it is pre 1995 and have the vacuum pump behind the alternator? Mine have a black rockercover but has the vacuum pump behind the alternator so it would have the squirters I guess?

I know that the inline pump is very robust, wouldn’t it be possible to boost it with 20PSI max? I would like to boost it max on 1.5 bar that’s 21PSI or something like that.
woytek

Post by woytek »

zjuul wrote:Hi,
I know the engines build for 1995 has the oil squirters to cool down the pistons. Normally they call it the silvertop engine. But I have read that a black rockercover can be a silvertop as it is pre 1995 and have the vacuum pump behind the alternator? Mine have a black rockercover but has the vacuum pump behind the alternator so it would have the squirters I guess?

I know that the inline pump is very robust, wouldn’t it be possible to boost it with 20PSI max? I would like to boost it max on 1.5 bar that’s 21PSI or something like that.
Correct, only inline pump will be a problem.
TD42 are quite popular as repleacment RD28/ETI28 or especially ZD30 engine.
Everything availabale new mechanical pump, engine etc..
Diesel:
- CD17 84',
- TD27 93',
- ETI27T 04' + LPG injection (electronic pump + TD27),
- ETI28T 98' + LPG injection (similar to LD28->TD28->ETI28T),
- YD25 06' CR engine.