Nissan vanette 2.3 diesel 2001 white smoke

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Vanette

Nissan vanette 2.3 diesel 2001 white smoke

Post by Vanette »

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle with my Nissan vanette 2001 2.3 diesel, when it's cold it's fine, but when it's been warmed up on a drive, it starts to continuously produce white smoke out the back. Just had an injector replaced due to one leaking, could there be air in my fuel??

Ps

There's no loss of power, and coolant and oil levels are fine

Anyone any help?

Need my van for work, and I don't know what to do
plenzen

Re: Nissan vanette 2.3 diesel 2001 white smoke

Post by plenzen »

As you are not losing power it's unlikely that you have air in the fuel and normally that does not produce smoke anyway.
I am inclined to think you are getting water into one or more of the cylinders. You say your coolant level is fine but white smoke is usually caused by this.
Try holding I piece of paper towel or some such absorbant paper over the exhaust pipe after the engine is warmed and this condition occurs. If the spots and whatever collects on it evaporate after a while then it's water, if not then it's likely oil being burnt, this however would produce more of a blueish type smoke.
Keep us posted.
You can also draw out some coolant from the radiator and have a look for products of combustion. Black coloring etc.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
jim bob

Re: Nissan vanette 2.3 diesel 2001 white smoke

Post by jim bob »

One thing you can easily check. Take the rad cap off, and run the engine. While running look in the rad, and see if you see some bubbles. If there are bubbles, then it is likely one of the following: head gasket, cracked block or head.

Do a compression check, if that is OK, ( all cylinders within 20 lbs ) then make sure all coolant connections are secure, then pressurize the rad, and leave it for a few hours, and see if the coolant goes down. Take a piece of wire that will go down the dipstick tube, put some water finding paste on and see if you find water.