Nissan Largo Van Owners Club website

CD-powered vehicles, specifically the Sentra, but also retrofits and swaps.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Vanman

Nissan Largo Van Owners Club website

Post by Vanman »

I've just found your forum and thought I'd register.

I own a Customised '96 Nissan Largo.....W-30 model with a CD20Ti engine. I'm no great mechanic but help run a Owners Club for fellow Largo enthusiasts. Not here to nick your members lol, but if we can be of any help just shout :)

Best wishes from Sunny Cornwall, UK :)

http://eastern-autos.com/forum/index.php
Cornwall UK....Customised Nissan Largo W30, CD20Dti
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Vanman,

Welcome aboard. Our CD section is rather thin. Any info you would like to contribute would be welcome.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

If nothing but out of interest, here's a pic of my Largo

My Son is something of a Vanner too....here's his (he's just bought it) with mine tucked in behind and third in the row, another Club member.

The link to our Club forum is:-
http://eastern-autos.com/forum/index.php

If I can help any of you guys out on here I'll try

all the best :)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Cool! Little Nissan diesel vans!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Those vans are stylin!' Do you know anything about souping-up the CD series diesel engines? Certainly someone from the UK has pushed a CD20t to its limits. The people demand details!
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Blimey, mate, why'd you do it? Curses man, teasing us with really cool vehicles that we can't get here in the US :? :lol:

But really, thanks for posting. I spent a week in your country on business ten years ago, and was shuttled around in a Ford turbodiesel wagon (was like the Contour model we used to have here, but a wagon)--it was so smooth and quiet that I seriously didn't know it was a diesel until they told me, after four days of being in it!

It's a shame that we have so few vehicles like that over here. I just bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey van, weighs 4300 lbs, and gets about 20-23 mpg (US gallons of course :) ) on petrol, but man do I wish it was a diesel--then it would get 28-35 mpg. Growing family forced me to finally buy the van.
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

240ZD wrote:Those vans are stylin!' Do you know anything about souping-up the CD series diesel engines? Certainly someone from the UK has pushed a CD20t to its limits. The people demand details!
'fraid not.....I'm afraid I'm old school and if I wanted my Largo to give decent 'performance' I'd have gone for a V8 transplant (I'm an old Vanner from the 70's lol). I neither have the health or the money to do the swap these days unfortunately but still love the burble of an eight.

As far as tuning the CD20, I've really yet to come across anyone who's played with the engine. Most of the guys in the Largo club use theirs for ferrying the rugrats around, some venture as far as lowering the suspension.....a lot of them go for aftermarket alloys.
Hopefully I can still be a bad influence on a lot of them with my customising ideas :D

atb :)
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

redmondjp wrote:Blimey, mate, why'd you do it? Curses man, teasing us with really cool vehicles that we can't get here in the US :? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I must admit I do like Nissan's styling of the Largo, but there again i would say that!
I'm surprised in a way they didn't make your shores although someone somewhere in the 'States has one cos I've seen the pics!
There's not too many over here in the UK compared with other imports though, compared to the Ford/Mazda Bongo/Freindee as they're called here or the Toyotas..

By the way guys........Happy New Year to you all :)
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

So perhaps nobody has "maximized" a CD engine...

I guess I'll have to do it myself. 100 ft/lbs of torque per cylinder!!! :mrgreen:
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

largo W30.

the serena version had a detuned SR20E for australia.
these have lots of performance scope.

4X4 versions turn up as half cutsthe body shell is the same for both versions.

import restriction destroyed the market for these,cant say there is much call for these underpowered SUV.
recently newer import van models have arrived at local used car sales outlets,not been up close yet,elgrand i think.

had extractors,oil cooler and light flywheel on my CD20.retuned the IP.
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Davehoos, can you describe the difference your modifications made to your CD20? Did a lighter flywheel have any detrimental effects to the engine, and also, what did you do to your IP?

Thanks for the info. I'm cooking up a new project (classified), and virtually no one has messed with Nissan diesels for performance, which isn't proper, as diesel-powered vehicles win many races in which they are allowed to participate. Nissan diesels must be elevated to the vaulted position to which they belong: blowing great clouds of acrid black smoke across the finish line, perfume for the gas-burners and crank pirates to inhale as they give chase.

Pipe dreams... fat three-inch diameter, smoke-spewing exhaust pipe dreams.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

when the import engines get here they have that tired feel.might be due to the quality of fuel.

the CD20 engine i got had less than 5000Km and was less than 12 months old.it died after 2 years with intake valve issue.i think its possible that it had leaking valves when i got it.it ran hot on steep hills.

i played with the ip to give it more go.performace was similar to the CA20E with more grunt at lower speeds.same deal i do with most engines.

the engine was a FWD,I ran an auto trans of a LD28 at first then a modified CA20E,the lock up was too much.i didnt use the diesel auto flywheel just the gas steet plate type.

same deal when i fitted a manual,i used a CA18DE as it bolts on directly.these are very much lighter.skyline has glycol filled mounts with dampeners.the engine ran smooth sitting on the ground.

extractors was made to fit it to the car.Skyline.have no idea of improovements ,but it made a big difference with the LD20II.
it has single small engine pipe.

australia nissan use longer runner exhausts than jap imports,a L20B/CA20/RB30 has 2 engine pipes that join near the rear trans mount.cat is well fitted under the car.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.