cd into 200sx

CD-powered vehicles, specifically the Sentra, but also retrofits and swaps.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

haightc

cd into 200sx

Post by haightc »

I was thinking about the possibility of putting a cd engine. what kind fuel economy would I except. How bad is the noise level? I have an diesel Chevy LUV that is to loud to me and diesel tercel that is much quieter that I am trying to get running again.

I've been trying to study french on my daily commute but It get frustrating. It hard to quantify noise level but I have one one those VU meter apps on my phone and it pegs it out at highway speeds.

It's been inferred that the CD17 is quieter than the SD engines. How noise they are compared to a Chevy LUV (Isuzu P'up Diesel) I don't know. The SD22 looks very similar to to the C223 in my pickup.

The 200SX looks like it was the start of the Almera platform which I think had a CD20T option outside of the states. Although I would imagine the cost of CD20T plus 200sx would be close to the same price point and fuel economy of a US market VW TDI.

I test drove a 2000 TDI Golf a little while back. I think my diesel tercel (1n-t) is somewhere inbetween my pickup and the golf. I think the turbo at most time seems louder then the engine. Really I would like to get it working but these engines seem impossible to find anymore. I have to import all my parts at an unbelievable premium. My new head gasket cost $250.
cd20T

Post by cd20T »

The CD20T is a pretty quiet, and very smooth engine, as compared to other 4 cylinder diesels near or in the 2L capacity range. It is also very willing to rev (to 6K+ with minimal injection pump mods), and fitted with a larger turbo, etc, will make some serious power as well. Of course, in a lightweight chassis like a Sentra or 200SX, the engine will also get around 50mpg or more.

Unlike a TDI or other DI engine, an IDI will make lots of hp compared to drivetrain damaging lower rpm torque, just to get some hp. The CD20T will still make tons of torque also, don't worry.

Depending on which version CD20T you get, you might also get one with a two stage injection pump housing pressure switch, that you could switch to the lower pressure stage, making the timing advance less, which will make the engine even quieter. This comes at the expense of a little less power, fuel economy, etc. I run mine in the high pressure position all the time.

The stock injection pump has a 10mm plunger diameter, so it is very tuning friendly if you want to make power. Larger diameter plungers are readily available also.
haightc

Post by haightc »

For some reason it seems like Nissan Sentras and 200xes seem relatively cheap in my area.

Are the mounts the the same and the CD17. I can find just a CD17 engine for 1100, but tack on the shipping 600 plus a few hundred more for a tranny. As far are I can tell a CD20 for about the same price but it would be harder to find.

I don't quite understand the timing of the CD series engines. Basically I am used to just matching the timing marks with the pulley marks.
cd20T

Post by cd20T »

If you can, go for the cd20 or cd20t, especially if the price is about the same.

The mounts seem to be the same, as I have both the cd17 and cd20t. The deck height may be higher with the cd20(t), but the block dimensions seem to be the same.

Use a dial indicator to measure the injection pump plungers lift in relation to the crankshaft degrees. There is simply not enough resolution with timing a diesel engine with gilmer belts or chains by lining up timing marks. It is not a hard process, it just may be different that what you might be used to. It also allows for the ability to tune the engine, which is always a good thing!