CD20 flywheel size and engines with the same one.

CD-powered vehicles, specifically the Sentra, but also retrofits and swaps.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

1600cc

CD20 flywheel size and engines with the same one.

Post by 1600cc »

Hey im relplaceing a CD17 in a 4wd buggie i built with a CD20.
Everything seems to be going fine but the CD20 was out of a auto bluebird and i need a manual flywheel, i thought the CD17 one would fit on but they have different stud patterns.
What manual flywheel could i use? can i use a SD20 or what?
Any help would be great because i want to get this motor in.
Cheers guys.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

If you cant get one a CA18DE/DET is the closest.silviaS13-S14.
it wont be as heavy.U13 CA18DET is FWD and will fit but the clutch can be like a TD27T and inside out.
CA16DE sometime have 8 bolt flywheels but most ae 6 bolt.

RWD uses a different clutch system to most FWD-mostly the FWD plate is fitted with the springs in so the clutch cover is flat.[like old VW]

CA is the petrol version and the older engines use the 6 bolt flywheel.
CD20 use the small 8 bolts.you need to fit the diesel ring gear.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
1600cc

Post by 1600cc »

Still haveng trouble finding a CD20 one :(
So are all CA18DE/DETs 8bolt and exactly the same as the CD20 ones?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

they are 8 bolt-but not the same.

they bolt on to the crank the same but are much lighter.

depending on what car it comes from the clutch will be different.

the starter ring gear teeth are different.the diesel ring gear will fit on a petrol flyweell.
portlandmovers

Post by portlandmovers »

Yeah, this is nice one. This thread really rocks my world. keep it up.
1600cc

Post by 1600cc »

Im a bit stuffed on finding a CD20 flywheel but i have thought of another idea.
Auto would suit me better so if i could find a serena or largo van auto rwd box that could bolt up to my cd20 out of a fwd bluebird and just use that.
I dont really know much about autos so is there any electronics that go with the auto?
Cheers
1600cc

Post by 1600cc »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =428373285
Ive found heaps of autos not just on serenas and largos, Would a C32 bolt up to my engine?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

serena CD20 uses an auto with an electronic control.

i converted my cd20 to suit a CA20 petrol auto with a non electronic type box [4N71C]

i used a petrol drive plate redrilled and diesel ring gear.
the starter motor faced forward I had to rework the oil filter and engine mount.

the diesel starter motor faces to the rear on a serina diesel on top.

C32 in a laurel.RD28.the auto is basically the same as a serina except the bell housing.
Datso

Post by Datso »

davehoos wrote:serena CD20 uses an auto with an electronic control.

i converted my cd20 to suit a CA20 petrol auto with a non electronic type box [4N71C]

i used a petrol drive plate redrilled and diesel ring gear.
the starter motor faced forward I had to rework the oil filter and engine mount.

the diesel starter motor faces to the rear on a serina diesel on top.

C32 in a laurel.RD28.the auto is basically the same as a serina except the bell housing.
hello Dave thank you for the information you garnish on these threads about these wonderful engines.

I would like to get a cd20t and remove the turbo to pass engineering then put it back on as Im only allowed 1.6L with boost or 2L NA.
Just wondering as the landrover peeps do this to avoid paying for expensive turbo replacements by running a 200tdi without the snail and call it a 200di instead.
Does the CD20 have more comp than the turbo version the cd20T ?
Also I have a ball bearing disco potato tb28BB and wondering if this is too big for such high compression?
Im planning on using a D21 gearbox 5FSW 71C model as they have better internals than the earlier stumpy R30 boxes and 71B stumpy D21 boxes. Diff is an issue as I will need 3.3 or 3.1 but hard to get for an R160 diff.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

turbo is normally lower compression engine due to the fact that you are pumping in double the air and are close to double the compression.
I think the CD is only slightly differernt due to piston.

the injector pump holds back fuel waiting for boost to reduce black smoke.
so you have to increase the rate.

R30 use a B type box.r31 use a long C type.the box was update in mid to late 80s .ser 3 bluebird has a b with c internals.imput shaft ect.

I use a 3.5 first or lower box.Ctype short boxes are common with vans remote shift.most have a new style number.

go and recheck the capacity thing.that sounds bizar for a diesel.you have to buy a I30.
english use 2.3 diesels in 110 without turbos using cooking oil.like if you wanted power you fit a sale.

200 disco Ive seen had K series 4 cyl petrol engine.these show up without rear windows or seat listed as vans.but not many survive past its first buyer..
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

in a pintara wagon 1300KG I had 3.45 diff and need a 3.9 or lower.

a 0.75 over drive is used on commercial vehicles and OS skylines.
the engine revs to 4000 is without risk giving 120-135 K top speeds.
Datso

Post by Datso »

200 disco Ive seen had K series 4 cyl petrol engine.these show up without rear windows or seat listed as vans.but not many survive past its first buyer..
Never heard of this vehicle wow!

Sorry the landrovers 200tdi is a 2.5 with the 300tdi an updated version.
For my car Im only allowed 2000cc NA or 1600cc with turbo so I though why not use a cd20t without the turbo and then later put it back on after engineering. The CD20T I have in mind seems like such a nice construction for a 2ltr diesel 84.5mm x 88mm stroke as far as I know with the alloy head should be quieter and much lighter than the LD20 II.
Which one would you choose?

So your Pintara wagon is still going with that engine? what fuel economy were you achieving?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

NSW has diesel exception.
P platers here can buy 6 cyl cars.

pintara[skyline wagon] was converted to diesel CD20 auto in 90's.and was used for a few years.it had cyl head failure and as it was new type no parts available cheaply.early engines had different intake valves and I guessing my low KM engine was a failed engine.

then it got a old chain drive LD20T then I fitted a RD28 manual.
the LD20T was thirsty when pushed-I had another car with LD20II and it was very economical bellow 80KMh. 7.5L/100.

R31 was taken for scrap before Christmas in a forced yard cleanout.a tree had fallen over it a few years ago in a storm.low price of scrap brings nice people out looking for farm clean ups.just would have been good if they only took was was marked to remove and payed the agreed price--or anything.

the RD28 was cheeper to run.

turbo are very quiet.intake requires a restriction to cut induction noise--air intake on CD20 came our the rear and rapped under coming into the original diesel R31 air intake.round drum type[RD28T Y60 patrol]
the laurel uses a flat panel filter-look at LD28 maxima-I also used the RB30 air box but it filled up with oil from rocker cover-the pollution engines run a flap to draw EGR into the intake and this also stops air pulsing back up the pipe.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

the only 2.5 I worked on was Italian VM diesels.pre disco.1980-90's
these are fitted to rover cars without turbos-
the defender Gemini engine in a bit of a boat anchor.not a popular engine today.200 is a cheep engine in England and I think your refer to it being derated to suit old landrovers.most of the 200 disco are long gone,people selling off the conversion to o fit early ser2A ser3.
locals are buying Brazilian 300 replacments

havnt touched later engines-the 110 I built had Isuzu 3.9.
I have a ranger with 3.2 TD5 engine.i believe it replaced BMW diesels in Disco,over seas they use BMW 6 cyl petrols in south Africa.
Datso

Post by Datso »

davehoos wrote:locals are buying Brazilian 300 replacments
havnt touched later engines-the 110 I built had Isuzu 3.9.
I have a ranger with 3.2 TD5 engine.i believe it replaced BMW diesels in Disco,over seas they use BMW 6 cyl petrols in south Africa.
Crazy stuff didnt know Brazilian 300 engines where imported to the UK & bimmer 6s into Disco. I seriously thought about buying a camper converted forward control landrover with the isuzu 3.9 diesel but chickened out as the FC landy is a very heavy Mog like chassis & felt economy would be disastrous going around australia in one.
davehoos wrote:NSW has diesel exception (lucky buggers!)

pintara[skyline wagon] was converted to diesel CD20 auto in 90's.and was used for a few years.it had cyl head failure and as it was new type no parts available cheaply.early engines had different intake valves and I guessing my low KM engine was a failed engine.
R31 was taken for scrap before Christmas in a forced yard cleanout.a tree had fallen over it a few years ago in a storm.low price of scrap brings nice people out looking for farm clean ups.just would have been good if they only took was was marked to remove and payed the agreed price--or anything.
Ive read this from other owners saying the cd17 and early cd20 have head issues. I wonder which one the cd20 is Im looking at will post pic
Perhaps I should reconsider a CD20 if heads are not easily available.
then it got a old chain drive LD20T then I fitted a RD28 manual.
the LD20T was thirsty when pushed-I had another car with LD20II and it was very economical bellow 80KMh. 7.5L/100.
Sounds like the II is the good one then but the 1 is so much better looking for retro setups yet poor diesel execution confirmed again here whereas the II is diesel from ground up.
the RD28 was cheeper to run. turbo are very quiet.intake requires a restriction to cut induction noise--air intake on CD20 came our the rear and rapped under coming into the original diesel R31 air intake.round drum type[RD28T Y60 patrol] the laurel uses a flat panel filter-look at LD28 maxima-I also used the RB30 air box but it filled up with oil from rocker cover-the pollution engines run a flap to draw EGR into the intake and this also stops air pulsing back up the pipe.
Very interesting RB based but 6 cylinder config rids alot of the vibration issues that short live the L4 so 6 cyl doesnt need so much webbing on the block or was the RD28 block much beefier and taller?