injector pump leak

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

alramone

injector pump leak

Post by alramone »

hi.
i'm currently putting a ld28 into a datsun 280c 330 cedric.
http://www.datman.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7332

but i've got a problem with the injector pump.
i've got two different and they both are leaking fuel from the top of the pump, looks to be coming from the throttle spindle.
is this a problem area? is there a fix?
i'm going to take apart the second pump i have to see if i can figure it out, but would really like some advice.
thanks
alramone

Post by alramone »

fuel looks to be coming out from this brass bush where the throttle spindle attaches.
theres a bit of play in this.

is there a quick fix i can do to this?
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Quick fix? Don't know. Did you take apart clocks as a kid? Or, more importantly, did they work correctly after you put them back together? Quickly?

That throttle spindle there, the shaft has a groove in it further down where an o-ring sits to seal it in the bronze bushing. That is probably what is leaking. Not that hard to replace, but you MUST KEEP EVERYTHING CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, do not let any dirt fall into the IP, as you will have the cover off. You also will want the cover gasket. The IP has numbers stamped into the side. A Bosch fuel injection shop should be able to get you the seals based on the IP numbers.

Here is a pictorial-- warning, from non-Datsun (but similar) application:

Resealing a Bosch VE Injection Pump (VW)
http://crustycrank.com/resealinjpump.htm

About 2/3 of the way down in the article, for the governor shaft seal, your immediate project.

Also important: Mark the orientation of that splined throttle shaft in relation to the cover BEFORE removing the cover or there's a good possibility it won't idle or run correctly after reassembly. Hope you already marked the orientation of the lever (the one you already removed) to the shaft also. Actually that is what is important, lever orientation to the shaft, more than the shaft orientation to the cover.

Good Luck!
alramone

Post by alramone »

cheers. i've given this on to a shop to fix it for me.
i'll take the other one apart my self to have a go at that one.

didn't mark the spindle. realised after i'd taken it off. i'll try and compare it to one of my other pumps when i replace it.
alramone

Post by alramone »

got my pump back and it looks to be working ok so far.
they replaced the shaft seal and spun it up and checked it was all working ok.
i had some troble getting fuel out of the injectors lines when i first started.
think it was a combination of dieing battery and me being impatiant.

pump looks good, new belt and i should be trouble free. maybe. :)
Toylex

Re: injector pump leak

Post by Toylex »

Hi,

The LD28 application in Cedric 330 its easy ?

I have a 330 with SD22 engine, major changes are needed ?

Thanks,
Jose