looking for parts for an LD28 (Head Gaskets)

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

gus brewin

looking for parts for an LD28 (Head Gaskets)

Post by gus brewin »

I AM LOOKING FOR A GASKET SET, TIMING CHAIN & A CAM SPROCKET
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THESE?

I HAVE THE FUEL INJECTION BELT - IN BETWEEN THE TWO MARKS ON THE BELT. I DO NOT SEE THE MARK ON THE CRANK SHAFT PULLEY
THEIR IS MORE THAN 20 CORDS BETWEEN THE MARKS.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
GUS
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

I would buy it new @ the local auto parts store, its probably spec. order but they should have it.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

You may want to (have to) go to the dealer for the engine parts. I think I would to ensure quality.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Gus,

For engine parts you could go to a Nissan dealer or your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store as long as the item is not specific to the marine LD 28. If you are looking for parts through automotive sources, ask for parts for an 81 through 83 Maxima because those are the years when the LD 28 was available. http://WWW.nismoparts.com is another option but it really helps to have part numbers before you go there.

For marine parts, you might try here:

http://www.jescoweb.com/LD28.htm [edit 15May2013: bad link]
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Re: looking for parts for an LD28

Post by asavage »

Hello, Gus:

A tip: typing in all-capital letters is considered SHOUTING.
gus brewin wrote:I AM LOOKING FOR A GASKET SET, TIMING CHAIN & A CAM SPROCKET
For the gasket set: you will always have to purchase the head gasket separately, because there are at least three different gasket thicknesses available. The goal is to maintain the proper valve-to-piston clearance, which can vary depending upon production tolerances, deck height (piston protrusion), and machine work performed on the head. The Nissan Factory Service Manual details this.

Fel-Pro does not appear to have a full gasket set available, but Victor does (less head gasket, of course):
NAPA NGA FS3999, $129

The head gasket can be purchased in either Fel-Pro or Victor from NAPA, with prices ranging from $42 to $65 for the six different combinations available, depending upon the brand and number of identifying grooves on the side of the gasket (relating to the gasket's thickness).
gus wrote:I HAVE THE FUEL INJECTION BELT - IN BETWEEN THE TWO MARKS ON THE BELT. I DO NOT SEE THE MARK ON THE CRANK SHAFT PULLEY
Unless someone has removed it, it should be there.
Gus wrote:THEIR IS MORE THAN 20 CORDS BETWEEN THE MARKS.
Then you have the wrong belt.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

gus brewin wrote:I AM LOOKING FOR A TIMING CHAIN & A CAM SPROCKET
Doing a little research, the Cam Sprocket is 13024-U8000, $58. Surprisingly (to me), that's the same original part No. as for the L24e (gasser) engine, so they were interchangeable. That means you should be able to buy one for any old 280Z or Maxima gasser engine and have it fit.

The weird thing is that there is an alternate/add'l part No. listed for the L24e engine of 13024-U8001, with no supersession listed. IOW, it doesn't say there's a serial number or production date cutoff for the old number.

Anyway, it looks like you should have no problem obtaining one. NAPA lists the Cam Gear, Crank Gear, tensioner, guides, etc.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

However!
The chain itself is different. No listing at NAPA for it. Nissan part No. is 13028-V0700, $84.

BTW, although I have the paper Maxima/910 Parts Catalogue, it isn't online and won't be anytime soon. The Nissan FAST Electronic Parts Catalogue is a lousy bit of kit, but you can beat it into submission, if you're patient. Follow the install instructions in this post then use <F1> in the FAST program to read the instructions. Although the software is PITA, the instructions in the Help file are unusually well written, so that's some compensation.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
gus brewin

TIMING CHAIN

Post by gus brewin »

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP YOU HAVE GIVEN ME.

I NEED TO CALL ON YOU ONE MORE TIME.

I AM UNABLE TO FIND A NEW TIMING CHAIN.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

GUS
asavage
Site Admin

Re: TIMING CHAIN

Post by asavage »

Gus, all-capitals is SHOUTING. Please lower your "voice".
gus brewin wrote:I AM UNABLE TO FIND A NEW TIMING CHAIN.
No listing at NAPA for it. Nissan part No. is 13028-V0700, $84.

If you are a betting man, you might want to look at eBay auction 150117057961.
ALT# 54-02112
23112_ITM

Personally, I'd buy the OEM one from Nissan.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

13024-U8000-----13024-U8001

part numbers,normally the change in the last number indicates it was made by a different supplier.common with service items for the replacement parts to be made by a different company or modified to be interchangable wit other models.

U80 indicates that it was a part that fitted a particular car,if it is completely different it would have a different number.however i belive that if the 2nd last number is different it may not fit or it has been modified.

my understanding is that the difference in timing chain kits for most L ser engines is the number of links.the blocks are different hieghts.

when i worked for the nissan dealer i looked up LD20-LD28 chain and gaskets and the computor gave the description as L24-240z for some parts otheres did not show up as suiting other models.LD20 has a taller block.
L20B parts didnt crossover probably as it was australian made.
i bought a length of chain and joining link.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Shagbark

Post by Shagbark »

You can buy all that stuff at autopartauctions.com (note the "s" at the end), I think the chain is about $10, the gears are about $6 or $7. They have lots of LD28 Maxima stuff. I bought an A/C compressor(with clutch) for $35 and a bunch of other parts dirt cheap from them a couple of weeks ago. This is the auction site of surplusparts.com (a surplus auto parts company in Houston TX). The surplusparts (World Trading) site has a $500 minimum order (not the auction site, there is no minimum order there) but, if you don't see what you want on the auction site, you can call them and they will let you order from World Trading but, you will have to pay a $50 handling fee. The parts are cheaper on the WT site because the handling fee is tacked on a little for each part on the auction site. I'm not saying that they are going to charge more than the listed price (on the auction site), I'm saying the handling fee (paying them to go dig it out of the warehouse) is included in the price, that's why it's a little higher. Hope this helps.

P.S. I'm putting the links to these sites below. I linked them in the test feature of this site but, I don't think their auction site will allow this, it didn't work for me anyway. Also, when you go to the auction site, there is a narrow band towards the top of the search results page that will let you select your engine. That keeps you from having to sort through page after page of gasser stuff.

Auction

World Trading

Frank
Frank

82 Maxima diesel wagon, AT, 139k miles (New daily driver).
85 720 pickup, AT, 235K miles, (Gasser, old daily driver).
85 F350 4x4, 185K miles (460 Gas Hog but, sometimes you gotta have some muscle).
2000 Firebird (Wife's car).
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

asavage wrote: Fel-Pro does not appear to have a full gasket set available, but Victor does (less head gasket, of course):
NAPA NGA FS3999, $129

I tried to order this set from Napa. They cancelled the order because it is on indefinite factory backorder. The Felpro "head set without head gasket" is in the same boat, and I have tried two vendors for it. Crap. :evil:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

My experience too.

Online, the FLAPS say they have said item in stock - in my case, I needed a valve cover gasket. Go in to the store to place the order and the part is not even in their catalog. Unavailable.

In the end, I went with Nissan Genuine PArts which are still available from the dealer and noth that much more than what the FLAPS WOULD have charged if they had had the gasket in stock.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I was unable to get the "plenum" gasket from Nissan. I guess that is the correct term for the gasket between the two halves of the intake. It was on indefinite back order to Japan.

I have had no trouble getting the Felpro valve cover gaskets from my FLAPS. Wierd.

I wonder if this is a temporary situation on the gasket set? I'd buy at least one if I could find it. :(
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The story I got Friday afternoon from my local NAPA is that NAPA has discontinued the Victor Reinz gasket line, in favor of Fel-Pro (and Fel-Pro does not appear to have a full gasket set). For a long time, there was remaining stock of Victor in the NAPA distribution chain.

My guy is going to check if he can still get the Victor set (special order). I would assume that there is some other outlet for the Victor set.