LD28 Smashed Piston Crown

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

hamahona

Post by hamahona »

diesel-man wrote:
exmod110 wrote:Loos like it dropped a valve seat form those pic's! why did it drop a valve? cant say, but it will cause the damage u have.
Looks like the valve seat caused it. I was more sure of starting fluid be the explanation...and before I saw the pictures.

Do yourself a favor and start with another engine. If the head looks that bad, the cylinder must have a little "rash" on it to. Sell the crank and rods to a gasser.

Usually if it overheats bad...bad...it can expand the head enough to let the seat drop down...get sideways...
Thanks for your advise, I took a look at the head properly and it looks like the valve seat is fallen off. Also I dont think the cylinder bore is scratched. I ended a buying a engine for $385USD and $150USD to deliver it 700miles. It suppose to be a mint runner.

My new problem is I have to convert it from a mid sump to a rear sump. Hopefully my current engine sump and oil pick up just bolt on.

Thank you.
windsock

Post by windsock »

hamahona wrote:My new problem is I have to convert it from a mid sump to a rear sump. Hopefully my current engine sump and oil pick up just bolt on.

Thank you.
Glad to hear you got a good motor to replace it with. Your existing sump and pick-up should simply bolt up to the new block but you may need to relocate the dip-stick to the rear portion of the block and insert a bolt into the old dip-stick hole. Easy enough to do with the equipment.

Also check the condition of the rear main seal on the crank and replace that while you have the opportunity if it needs it.

Good luck.

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.