Injection Pump

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Belal

Injection Pump

Post by Belal »

Hi, I have just joined this forum, and I am not good with computers, this is pure luck that i found this forum I hope I am accepted.
I am and admirer of LD28 I am facing a few problems after servicing IP twice last week, the engine hardly starts with 2 batteries, does not idle ,lots of blue and black smoke , looks like a malfunctioning governer.
Its an SOS call.
Regards
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Serviced the IP in what way? New fuel filter? (air in lines) New IP belt? (go back and make sure that it is on the right marks... 20 cogs is 7 1/8")
Belal

Post by Belal »

Hello,
Thank you, Okay,sorry not to mention ,I have put new filter,new injector nozzles when i got the pump serviced last week. I removed the pump and took it to the workshop where they didmanteled it ,put a reconditioned rotor-head, new kit and seals e.t.c.
This engine is in 80 Chevy Impala estate with me for last 10 years. I bought and overhauled it in 2000, have done more than 200k and it still doesn't consume oil and have not developed back compression either.
I removed the pump only due to the reason that smooth idling was gone for past six months.the pump timing is alright but,I will very minutely fix the timing again, the way you have mentioned.
Later i will also share my diff problem.
Regards
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I take it that we are talking about a 5.7 Olds diesel? If so perhaps you can advance the timing? Three bolts hold it, and twist it with some large channel lock pliers (while running) to see which way it speeds up and runs "easier" or runs slower and more "lazy". It has a mechanical fuel pump, so the air should be cleared out by now.

One thing to check for is low compression...When it cranks,does it crank evenly or does it crank fast on one cylinder? Next does it have a head gasket trouble? Antifreeze getting into one cylinder so that it doesn't want to crank at first? You would see a lot of grey smoke...like a steam engine. How about when you use a tiny sniff of ether, does it start better?

Are the glow plugs working?
Belal

Post by Belal »

Hi,
No its not a 5.2 olds diesel, its a Nissan LD-28 put in Impala Estate.
I did moved the pump bothways to make it start by advancing and retiring all the way and then added another battery which did worked at full throttle but only for a few seconds.
The glow plugs are working well, black smoke is too much, engine revs up and down in a rhythm and gets close to stall.
while going through the postings here I found a similar problem posted in the IP section in 2007, the gentelman didnt posted the results of the remedy suggested,he had this engine in a boat and was running a biodiesel company.
Engine is so erratic I am hesitant to let it run to normal operating temperature, but i will try this tommorow.
afew mechanics are sure its a IP governor problem.
Regards
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

diesel-man wrote:Serviced the IP in what way? New fuel filter? (air in lines) New IP belt? (go back and make sure that it is on the right marks... 20 cogs is 7 1/8")
Go back to what I first said...are you sure that the pump is on the correct marks...20 cogs=7 1/8"? Fifteen years ago I put a belt on that was one tooth off until I measured the # cogs and marked my belt before putting it on 7 1/8". This was not my first belt, but yet my first flub-up.

Run it until it warms up after checking the belt. Rings could be gummed up as with the other post "Random Smokey LD28"