L28TMI

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

fubari33t

L28TMI

Post by fubari33t »

First, I'll start with Specs for my current project

F54 L28
N42 Pistons
LD28 Intake(modified for LD28 Injectors, Mid ways on runner, 80MM T/B)
Head ported to match LD28 Intake
LD28 IP
Stock Ignition

Ive been around L series engine for only 5 years, but still very knowledgeable with them none the less. I've started this project as a Turbo Mechanical Injected L28 gasser. Hilborn injection is to much for a idea. With a few modifications, the LD IP will mount to the L28 just the same. Front covers will have to be mixed with each other. or a Ford EDIS trigger mount ignition used. etc etc. I joined because this seems to be the most knowledgeable place for LD28 questions. Im aware that the LD28 is IDI, but still the pressure must be high. So what is the pressure the LD28 puts out at the injectors? Im aware the LD28 IP can handle a turbo, im only looking to push low boost, such as 5 to 7 psi. The timing would have to be advanced a bit to compensate for the extra travel time through intake. Im aware diesels are controlled threw IP, not a throttle body, So two cables would be needed. This will be a bit of a complicated build. but with a wide-band, and knowledgeable people interested in the build. could be successful
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The LD28 IP will not operate using gasoline. It is lubricated by the diesel fuel. The IP will be destroyed within minutes if operated with gasoline only. I know, I've done it.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fubari33t

Post by fubari33t »

100LL Blue. the answer for gas that will lube the pump. Anyone have the pressure these pump produce?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

fubari33t wrote:100LL Blue. the answer for gas that will lube the pump.
I don't say things like this often, but . . .

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Avgas, even if it was fully-charged with TeL (100LL is Low Lead), isn't going to provide a fraction of the lubricity needed to keep the distributor plunger lubricated for more than a few thousand strokes, and the lift pump will destroy itself within minutes. The cam plate rollers will gall in minutes. A minute amount of lead in the fuel stream won't prevent that.

If you want to use mechanical fuel injection, investigate proven gasoline fuel injection systems. Lots of them are available.

If you need it to be cheap, consider using OEM junkyard parts and adapting them, such as what this guy did to convert his Dodge Slant Six to EFI using Buick parts.

Hell, the OEM Nissan EFI is pretty good, for that matter.

Purely mechanical FI doesn't have a lot going for it, with EFI so widely available for a pittance. No feedback loop, for starters. If you don't have a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer, you'd better be a very experienced tuner to make a mechanical FI system work even close to good, never mind tuning to out-perform an old carburetor. I have worked on several mechanical fuel injection systems (mostly Mercedes) and they are no fun at all.

You mention "wide band" which to me implies a feedback loop. How would you integrate electronic feedback to the VE IP? Can't, as far as I can tell.

And regarding using two cables (one for IP, one for throttle body) . . . all I can say is, again, you have no idea what you're talking about. Pulling the IP cable won't get you the increased fuel feed you need for a gasser. Plus, there is a top end to the RPM you can turn a VE-style IP. Are you only going to run your hotrod gasser to 5500 RPM? And the IP's internal governor will flat explode if you run too fast, and can't be bypassed. And lots more like that: give it up.

If you want to learn how the VE-type Distributor Injection Pump works, and are willing to spend $25 and many hours reading, get this book:

Bosch Distributor Type Diesel Injection Pumps
Amazon.com, VMS Technical.
Anyone have the pressure these pump produce?
The nozzles pop at around 1950 PSI. Using diesel or equivalent, I expect you can probably get around 2200 PSI from them with maybe a 50% reduction in cam plate life. The VE-design pumps have not proven to be long-lived; they require rebuilding fairly often (as do many other diesel IPs).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fubari33t

Post by fubari33t »

Injector CC size?
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Holy crap man, just buy a Honda Civic and stick a double-decker wing on the trunk lid. "Injector CC size" is all you have to retort to Al's post? Diesel engines and gasoline do not mix. Gasoline engines and diesel do not mix. End of story.
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~