Newbie Questions on an LD28...

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

poppatello

Newbie Questions on an LD28...

Post by poppatello »

I have an 84 Jeep Cj that I am planing on swapping in a diesel. I was going to go with the Cummins 4bt as many have done this swap. I however like to be an original which is my signature on many forums. I had a fellow on one of my jeep forums post up on a thread I posted telling me he had an LD28 diesel with trans and all wiring. It's an overhead cam, 2.8L, inline 6. This is all I know @ this point. I've done only about 1 hours worth of research on this motor and so far I'm really nervous about even considering it. I can't seem to find even one person who has done this swap. Also I've seen a post here and there about getting parts for these things that doesn't seem to be easy. Plus the fact I'm a bit concern about HP. I've seen where they are only shelling out like 80 HP? Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm not sure of the year or condition of this motor but I would say it runs. Can you kind folks give me some tips on this and what I should be aware of and look for? The fella may even be a member on here as he states he plays with all makes of diesels. I'm not looking for a 80 mph hwy cruiser or even a red light dragster. I'm looking for something with power and that can keep up with hwy driving if I so choose. Also, any idea on what the tranny may be? Would it be an auto or manual? Thanks for you time in advance. I look forward to chatting with you all... :D
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

WoW, 10 people looked @ this thread and no replies. This doesn't seem too good. I do however have some more info on the motor. The motor was running in a 82 Nissan Maxima wagon that rotted away which has 140,000 on it running good. Has the engine, all accessories, fan, exhaust, wiring harness, relay boxes, 3 speed auto trans with lock-up converter (Not to crazy about the auto tranny for a jeep over road rig. Are they strong?). He doesn't have the glow plug converter but he said something about it required a weird step down voltage regulator so to install a 12v glow plug with a toggle switch. I'm ok with that. He states there are a couple of cool things about this engine. No primer pump is necessary (still learning about diesels but I somewhat understand this). You can hook a fuel line right to the injection pump and the lift pump will prime. Also there is a tach hookup in the injection pump which is a nice bonus. Hooking up a tach to most diesels is a problem (I've heard this and I like this bonus).
In a World Full of Copy Cats, Be an Original...
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just so you don't feel ignored.

The LD ( from what I have read on/in this forum ) is a pretty good engine but it's not without it's "quirks" .
The Cummins (IMHO) is a better more sturdy motor and has been around for 1000 years in some form or another.
If you like to be an original then the LD is good.
As you mentioned, finding parts etc. can be an adventure as well.
The glow system is and can be ???? Interesting :!: .
The Cummins is pretty simple.
I like simple
I hate drama
Especially 3 miles from the main road. :wink:

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

Hmm, that makes some sense Paul. Thanks for the .2...
In a World Full of Copy Cats, Be an Original...
zythr

Post by zythr »

plenzen wrote:Just so you don't feel ignored.

The LD ( from what I have read on/in this forum ) is a pretty good engine but it's not without it's "quirks" .
The Cummins (IMHO) is a better more sturdy motor and has been around for 1000 years in some form or another.
If you like to be an original then the LD is good.
As you mentioned, finding parts etc. can be an adventure as well.
The glow system is and can be ???? Interesting :!: .
The Cummins is pretty simple.
I like simple
I hate drama
Especially 3 miles from the main road. :wink:

Paul

...so in your opinion he should pass on the LD28?
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Not at all, and that was certainly not meant to be the tone of my comments. :? Just wanted to make sure that “poppatello” was informed and aware as to what he "may be" up against that’s all. Sounds like he is building a bit of an "off road" type vehicle and may use it in remote areas. If you are completley familiar with the Nissan and have collected a spare parts inventory then no problemo. I love Nissan Diesels, all of them, the old UD series the 22’s, 25’s and 33’s etc. as well as the real old 75 series etc. but, in North America they are all a bit of an “enigma” that’s all, especially in the automotive format. Industrial and marine not so much. The Cummins, Cat, VW, and even Mitsubishi are a bit more ???? “Main Stream” that’s all. Not better, just more common. Most of the service people that worked on the Nissans are retired/dead/crazy now and info, other than whats on here, can be pretty hard to come by.

Paul
Last edited by plenzen 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hi Poppatello,

I run an LD28 in an old '84 Land Rover 110, cab chassis so it has a flatdeck on the back. I currently run with 235/85/16 tyres and have an updated 1.41:1 transfer box after a five speed with a 0.73:1 overdrive fifth gear. Fourth gear is 1:1. Diffs are 3.54:1 and the LD28 is kind to the known weak points on the drive line. Do the math on your drive train ratios and miles per hour and see if you can match your desired road speed to the peak torque rpm of approx 2400rpm. This is a good place to start when transplanting an engine into another drive train. What are you going to run as a transfer case? Does the Jeep have a 'divorced' transfer case?

If I played it all over again I would have kept the 1.66:1 transfer box. On road it is a bit under powered in the current set up. Off-road it is fine in the low ratios of the transfer box. With a large heavy load on the truck deck, it can be a challenge long distance on the road but it is a slow old and steady truck none the less. Reliability off highway has never been a problem (I have been able to fix any issues on-trail, i.e. never towed home) but I do have a ready supply of parts here in New Zealand if I need to fix something on the engine block. Your mileage may vary :wink: . I understand parts can be an issue state-side.

They are a lower torque higher revving engine than other diesel engines I could have put into this old truck. They are not a torque-monster and to some folk who off-road this is their main drawback. I think that a good level of torque is necessary when wheeling but I have driven petrol motors with less torque than this engine and they have performed fine, as does this one. We are spoliled for choice these days for engines whereas in the old days we only had a few choices and we always seemed to get the job done still. Young bucks don't seem to like it unless it has uber-torque and 8 cylinders these days... peer-pressure can be a kicker... :lol:

I like what I have. It is reasonably economical in that I don't need to get a mortgage or flash the credit card to go wheeling like some others do in their uber torqued 8-pot lifted and locked trucks that they've sunk mega-dollars into :wink:

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.